Respected Contributor

Re: Milk and lactose intolarance

@Moonchilde wrote:

I happily lack the lactose intolerance gene. I love milk and dairy products.

I feel for those who are lactose intolerant, though. I had a friend who used to have to order her pizza without cheese - and can you imagine Mexican food without cheese?

I told her if it were me I'd miss ice cream most of all. She said that about once a year she would buy a favorite flavor and enjoy it...sitting...where she had to sit for the duration :-( None of the pills or lactose-free substitutes worked for her. She did say, though, that as she hit middle age the intolerance seemed to lessen somewhat and she could eat bits of this and that without disaster.

I bought lactose-free milk by accident once and thought it tasted gross. I poured it down the sink.

Count me in as another who loves her dairy.  Thankfully it never bothers me.

Now too many salads in a row or too much fiber all at once?  Oh. Not pretty.

My system does much better with protein.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I happily lack the lactose intolerance gene. I love milk and dairy products.

I feel for those who are lactose intolerant, though. I had a friend who used to have to order her pizza without cheese - and can you imagine Mexican food without cheese?

I told her if it were me I'd miss ice cream most of all. She said that about once a year she would buy a favorite flavor and enjoy it...sitting...where she had to sit for the duration :-( None of the pills or lactose-free substitutes worked for her. She did say, though, that as she hit middle age the intolerance seemed to lessen somewhat and she could eat bits of this and that without disaster.

I bought lactose-free milk by accident once and thought it tasted gross. I poured it down the sink.

Count me in as another who loves her dairy.  Thankfully it never bothers me.

Now too many salads in a row or too much fiber all at once?  Oh. Not pretty.

My system does much better with protein.

Cherries. Do NOT eat "too many"cherries. And for me, too many is not that many. Gaaah!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I am both lactose intolerant and allergic to all dairy products.  I hate it, but I got used to it.  Yes, I eat pizza and mexican food without cheese.

I'm on Weight Watchers, so not having dairy helps me keep the points down.  That is the bright side.

For those that can't have sour cream, Toffuti (sp?) Better than Sour Cream is sooooo good.  It really does taste better than sour cream!  I love it! 

I make a soft serve chocolate substitute with no dairy also and you'd swear it was ice cream.

I always say one of these days I'm going to eat a "real" pizza, but when I think of the end result (pun), it would never be worth it.

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

I love milk and haven't been able to drink it for years [9]  I have seen the lactose intolarance kind but didn't care for it. Well one day in te hospital they gave me cereal for breakfast, with regular milk, I asked them if they had any lactose, figuring the cereal would at least taste ok. So they brought me a lactose milk in a blue and white carton, 2% and now I have become addicted to it! They did something to it, but its like drinking cream! its rich and thick ,creamy almost like a milkshake! I have at least 3 glasses a day! Anyone else love this kind of milk?

I am glad that you found something that now allows you to drink milk. I have tried it and found it extra creamy as well. Have you tried Lactaid ice cream? That too is delicious and creamy.Heart

Respected Contributor

Funny thing is that cats are becoming more and more lactose intolerant. My dad used to tell us how he would squirt milk at the barn cats right out of the cow.

One of my now deceased cats loved milk, but couldn't tolerate it. I bought her the Lactaid brand milk, and she wouldn't touch it! Those darn cats can tell the difference!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

We've been buying whole, lactose free milk for years.  Also, lactose free milk lasts much longer.  We buy two 64oz cartons at a time, and the second carton is still fresh.  Also, the expiration dates on the packages of lactose free milk have a longer refrigerator shelf life, compared with regular milk exp. dates.  I believe because it's pasteurized more times than regular milk.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

For most of human history, adults did not possess the enzyme lactase, necessary for the digestion of lactose, the sugar found in milk. Approximately 10,000 years ago a single mutation occurred which allowed one ancestor to digest lactose in adulthood. This mutation was passed on to descendants of that individual and allows some populations to drink milk in adulthood. This ability lead to the horticulture of cows and benefitted those peoples that could take advantage of this dairy protein. Prior to this, only certain dairy could be digested by adults. That would be yogurt, since the bacterial culture used to make yogurt digests the milk sugar (lactose), so yogurt is mostly lactose free. A large part of the earth is still peopled by those that do not have this ability and are lactose intolerant. Children everywhere make lactase, and can digest milk with lactose from humans or any source.  

Valued Contributor

I've been lactose intolerant for a few years--my Mom also had this affliction as she got older. I was using SmartBalance lactose-free milk, but now use Dairy Pure--it is wonderful! I also love ice cream--the best lactose-free ice cream, in my opinion, is Breyer's--it is only made in vanilla and chocolate so far, but both are terrific--can't tell the difference taste-wise between regular ice cream and their lactose-free version (chocolate is my favorite--and it's hard to find). I was able to find the chocolate at my local Walmart Supercenter recently--so I bought THREE containers (and their price was great--under $3 each!).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's no lactose intolerance gene. There is a lactose tolerant gene.  It's called lactase persistance. The Dutch have the highest percentage of the population with lactase persistance, able to digest lactose, with only 1% unable to do so. Native Americans have the lowest percentage of persons with lactase persistance. Virtually 100% are lactose intolerant.