Honored Contributor

Royal Coverage of the Queen's Birthday

[ Edited ]

With all of the coverage about the Queen's 90th birthday, I keep seeing this:

"Kate's mother-in-law. . ." and "William sat chatting and laughing with mother-in-law Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall. . ."

This is from People magazine.

So - She is NOT William's mother-in-law; she is his stepmother. And she is not Kate's mother-in-law; she is her stepmother-in-law. Diana will always be her mother-in-law. 

I can't believe the editors at People would let this go. And I REALLY can't believe someone's getting paid to write it!  

I had one of those I loved dearly. DH's mother died shortly after we were married, and his dad remarried a year later. Ironically, she was British. DH's sisters called her "my father's wife." She always hated that. I called her my stepmother-in-law, and she was fine with it - I asked her!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Royal Coverage of the Queen's Birthday

[ Edited ]

I see so many untruths, grammatical errors and mis-spellings in the print media that it's scary.  Kind of unusual for People though.  You expect more from a big-time publication.

I saw online a pamphlet from the Philly Flower Show which featured the national parks as a theme this year (100th birthday).  In the first paragraph the author described Carlsbad Caverns as being in Colorado, which of course is wrong.  It's in NM.   I tried every way I could think of to contact her, to no avail.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Technically, you're right, of course, especially when it comes to a publication using accurate terms. Personally, I have two dads --my wonderful father and my deceased stepfather. I love them equally and called my stepfather my other father, and when he would introduce me to people as his daughter, I was so proud and happy because it was an accurate expression of his heart and mine. I still have a letter he wrote to me in college in which he said, "I couldn't love you any more if you were my own." He was killed in a car accident, but I am still his daughter, period. 

Honored Contributor

Pay attention folks!!!  The dark ages are coming back!

Honored Contributor

This is not high on my priority list of things to worry about or have any angst over.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I see so many untruths, grammatical errors and mis-spellings in the print media that it's scary.  Kind of unusual for People though.  You expect more from a big-time publication.

I saw online a pamphlet from the Philly Flower Show which featured the national parks as a theme this year (100th birthday).  In the first paragraph the author described Carlsbad Caverns as being in Colorado, which of course is wrong.  It's in NM.   I tried every way I could think of to contact her, to no avail.

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina 624...........probably better you didn't get in touch.......she probably would have asked you if you can see it from your house.    I get that all the time about the Grand Canyon................di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I must be dreaming, but didn't they just recently already celebrate the queen's birthday??

Valued Contributor

This is her "official" birthday.  Much more likely to have good weather and more tourists for crowds than her real birthday in April.  This year, her 90th, she has been celebrating almost continuously.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I must be dreaming, but didn't they just recently already celebrate the queen's birthday??

@Krimpette There is always a dual celebration of her real b-day in April and this one witth Trooping the Colour or whatever its called , just more fuss this year because of the landmark 90th.

Respected Contributor

@athenian wrote:

This is her "official" birthday.  Much more likely to have good weather and more tourists for crowds than her real birthday in April.  This year, her 90th, she has been celebrating almost continuously.

The celebrating is almost continuously because it generates money, which is all about everything nowadays.