Esteemed Contributor

Thank you. 😷🙏

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me   According to DD who's a hygienist, she and medical professionals wear masks with a wire at the top that can be bent to completely seal the area over the nose. I asked her about the only masks available to the public or made by hand and she said not to bother since the bacteria can enter all around the open areas around the top of the nose through the gaps. I say the masks I have purchased like those in video, are better than no protection at all. 

Valued Contributor

I am pretty confused about the whole mask issue.  I have a few non-medical grade masks lying around the house but not sure if I should even bother.

Respected Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XmKRYA0AuA   the demo on masks and why they are a good idea...starts at 50:00 (skip forward about 9mins long) the science is explained...very helpful to understand about how even talking the particles are still present in the air 20mins after the person sneezed or coughed...talked.  

Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

I believe the only thing a paper towel mask will keep you safe from is a dirty face. The moisture from your breath would make it ineffective immediately. Non medical grade masks are to keep others safe from you. STAY THE HECK HOME!!!!!

Some of us cannot STAY THE HECK HOME!!!!! I must go out twice a week for dialysis or I will, not could, die.

Respected Contributor

I would be afraid to wear a paper towel mask.  I guess better than nothing?  

Honored Contributor

I had thin gauge wire on a roll in the garage...could use a wire hanger, too if have wire clippers...and taped a piece to the top of our masks. Now they can be bent tightly around the nose.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@cotton4me   According to DD who's a hygienist, she and medical professionals wear masks with a wire at the top that can be bent to completely seal the area over the nose. I asked her about the only masks available to the public or made by hand and she said not to bother since the bacteria can enter all around the open areas around the top of the nose through the gaps. I say the masks I have purchased like those in video, are better than no protection at all. 

@Shanus 

There are a lot of patterns online for masks that have both a pocket for a filter and a place at the top of the nose for a bendable wire of some sort. Some suggestions for the wire are pipe cleaners or floral wire.  It’s necessary to bend in the ends so the don’t poke the wearer.  Anyway, this allows one to shape the mask over the top of the nose like a professional mask. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus 

There are a lot of patterns online for masks that have both a pocket for a filter and a place at the top of the nose for a bendable wire of some sort. Some suggestions for the wire are pipe cleaners or floral wire.  It’s necessary to bend in the ends so the don’t poke the wearer.  Anyway, this allows one to shape the mask over the top of the nose like a professional mask. 

@shoesnbags   Thanks I did 10 of ours in a few minutes w/ the floral wire. Good info for others. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Masks from paper towels

[ Edited ]

@Sushismom wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

I believe the only thing a paper towel mask will keep you safe from is a dirty face. The moisture from your breath would make it ineffective immediately. Non medical grade masks are to keep others safe from you. STAY THE HECK HOME!!!!!

Some of us cannot STAY THE HECK HOME!!!!! I must go out twice a week for dialysis or I will, not could, die.

@Sushismom ,I am sorry you need to go out but then since you are in a medical facility they could provide you with a mask that offers some protection. It wasn't people with medical necessity that this was addressed to. It it the folks who want to use a mask in order to get around the concept of staying home and social distancing. I will ammend  my statement for you. Unless it is a medical emergency, or you provide an essential service or need essential life sustaining food and medication, STAY THE HECK HOME!!! Utilize the brains and common sense the good L-rd gave you and save you life and the lives of others.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown