Esteemed Contributor

Thought this was quick and clever for a mask.  I no longer own any scarves so this would work for me.  All you need is a paper towel, rubber bands and a stapler. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZGU2vWHKC8 

Respected Contributor

What great way to make a mask 😷 thank you 

Respected Contributor

Re: Masks from paper towels

[ Edited ]

I believe the only thing a paper towel mask will keep you safe from is a dirty face. The moisture from your breath would make it ineffective immediately. Non medical grade masks are to keep others safe from you. STAY THE HECK HOME!!!!!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@cotton4me  very nice! Thanks for sharing🙂

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

Thought this was quick and clever for a mask.  I no longer own any scarves so this would work for me.  All you need is a paper towel, rubber bands and a stapler. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZGU2vWHKC8 

Thank you , I'm wailting for a mask that I ordered, and I need to go out briefly on Monday for meds. This was so easy , thanks again.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor
Others on YouTube are suggesting using a vacuum bag with hepa filtration in a similar manner. Better than nothing when you have to go to the grocery store. Remember to go out only when necessary and maintain social distancing.
Respected Contributor

I can't see any benefit to this type of mask.  Even if you make a cloth mask it should be two layers of tightly woven cotton fabric.  If it's not tight, the microbs can get through.  I put nonwoven interfacing in my cloth masks which makes the fabric less penetrable.

Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

I believe the only thing a paper towel mask will keep you safe from is a dirty face. The moisture from your breath would make it ineffective immediately. Non medical grade masks are to keep others safe from you. STAY THE HECK HOME!!!!!

@reiki604  I appreciate your reply.  This is new territory for most us so we're sharing ideas.  I have not tried this yet and it could be a total flop. None of the masks are designed to protect us.  If this becomes a requirement, this might be all someone has to use.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Masks from paper towels

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I can't see any benefit to this type of mask.  Even if you make a cloth mask it should be two layers of tightly woven cotton fabric.  If it's not tight, the microbs can get through.  I put nonwoven interfacing in my cloth masks which makes the fabric less penetrable.

That's what I'm going to do too @Scooby Doo . 

I've read coffee filters work too but then you have to remember to take them out before you wash them.  I don't know if they disintegrate in the washing machine, don't feel like finding out!

Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing 😊