Honored Contributor

Re: Masks Off Time to Smile Again

[ Edited ]

My friend is fully vaccinated and is very sick with the new Delta variant.  Only 43% of my state is vaccinated. I won't trust my health to strangers so I still wear a mask when in a store.

The only time I don't wear a mask is when I'm with my family and certain friends, who area all vaccinated.

Occasional Contributor

The masks are more about protecting those around you than yourself, and that has always been the case. While the COVID particles themselves are small enough to pass through the fibers of a mask, they are not when attached to saliva. An unmasked person, asymptomatic or not, merely talking to someone else will distribute saliva particles. If that person has COVID, then the virus transmits with it. The masks keep the saliva contained.

As to the vaccine, as with any vaccine, it is not 100% effective. A vaccine helps you fight off getting it, but if you do catch it, you will have better odds of pulling through it. 

A lot of the things that were and are done to fight COVID are about protecting those around you, and not yourself. With vaccination rates as miserably low as they are in some states, it's no wonder this is still spreading and people SHOULD still be wearing masks, but nope, more important to be selfish.

Occasional Contributor

Hope they pull through. 

Frequent Contributor

Since when do we ask people about their personal medical decisions? Maybe a close family member or friend possibly but really someone that’s working in a store? Isn’t it a persons private business? Covid definitely has changed this world.  Can we just respect people’s privacy and choices and mind our own business.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Susan in California wrote:

What keeps me wearing a mask indoors are the people out there

who still haven't/won't get vaccinated.  Just today, in small talk at

the store during check-out, I asked the checker if he had been

vaccinated.  He said "no" and just shrugged.  Those folks are

everywhere. 

@Susan in California 

I don't understand .....   Wasn't the point of you getting vaccinated to protect you from the virus, regardless of what anyone else has done?  

Getting vaccinated doesn't necessarily keep you from getting the virus, it does primarily keep you from Dying from the virus.  

I am fully vaccinated, I wear a mask in stores more often than not.  I always have it on, if I am around no one I pull it down, if I am around people it is up.  Yes I am vaccinated but this is not just about ME and it is way past time we learn that it takes a village and this is about everyone around us not jus us.  

I agree with the commercial that says if everyone is not vaccinated, this pandemic isn;t going anywhere.  Our numbers here are way higher than they should be and are on the increase.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The spread will rise again now that so many have the attitude that they are not getting vaccinated and will NEVER wear a mask again!!  I am glad where I live stores and most restaurants and businesses still have limits and mask mandates for those (including employees) not vaccinated.    Most employees are happy to show proof without being required and if not a mask is still mandated.  For those that think that because they are vaccinated they are immune - well surprise you are not!!  I was talking to a friend who told me that she was going to visit her friend out of town since they all were vaccinated and her friend called and told her not to come because both her daughter and grandson who were all fully vaccinated for some time both have it and her 19 yr old grandson was in the hospital with COVID in ICU!!  Herd immunity will never be reached here because those who do not get vaccinated will be responsible for spreading it and it will be a more serious variant and the virus will keep mutating until the vaccines we have now will not really be effective.  Worse case scenario but a good probability when considering the science.  I'm older and have lived a good life and even though I do not want to get COVID  would more devastated if I were the one to cause a spread in the virus to thjose I care about and even total strangers!  The possibility will exist for spread  maybe even more so than a year ago!!  At least many other countries are putting mandates on vaccines for those traveling in and out of their countries!!  I will not patronize the businesses in my area that have refused to follow mandates.  I was hesitant about the vaccine at first so waited for many months to see any negatives from getting one and also for the stampeed to dye down so I could choose which I wanted (Pfizer since it accepted no government money and were far ahead of the others in trials before emergency use approved).  I do know it is not magic like some seem to think and I also care about others since it is not all about me!!

Honored Contributor

Still wearing a mask here, and many still are out and about in stores etc. 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

We have been allowed no masks since the first of June.  What a relief.  I am vaccinated.  It is so nice to be in a store and able to smile at people.  It means a lot to me.

Honored Contributor

@Susan in California wrote:

What keeps me wearing a mask indoors are the people out there

who still haven't/won't get vaccinated.  Just today, in small talk at

the store during check-out, I asked the checker if he had been

vaccinated.  He said "no" and just shrugged.  Those folks are

everywhere. 

You really asked someone if they're vaccinated?  I don't think it's any of your business.

Esteemed Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

Ok you got vaccinated-now you are "immune" and cannot die from Covid-19-so why do you still wear a mask?  Why do you fear people who did not take the vaccine if you are immune?  How can they possibly affect you?  If you fear the un-vaccinated what good is the vaccine?  If you say there is a new "variant" every week, because they say so, that can infect everyone then what good is the current shot?   Fact is that it has never been claimed that the vaccines would make people immune to the virus.  They're meant to minimize the symptoms.  Vaccinated people can and will be carriers, and the reason is and always has been your body’s natural immune system works better than any vaccine when it is fully able to.  And this vaccine allows those that would normally have a hard time getting "antibodies" for this virus to be able to do so, without deadly side effects.  

They do not know all the side effects from these shots are yet.  That is why everyone who got a shot signed a piece of paper absolving the pharma companies of ANY liability for this emergency use vaccine.  

The masks that most used, while I'm sure was better than nothing, were in fact nothing more than particle masks.  And they in no way prevent anyone from getting this virus.  It gave people a feeling of safety and security when all talk was gloom and doom.  And it allowed people who had to still work be able to step outside without full blown panic.  MIT did a study and found the whole "6ft" rule to be false.  At this point many realize that it's ok to take your mask off and you will be fine.  Anyone notice they are no longer sanitizing shopping carts?  IF this virus was still as big a threat, no way would ANY restrictions be lifted.  It would be political/business suicide.   Where I'm at in Virginia very few still wear a mask.   

Funny thing is there never were any guidelines into disposing of all these masks without spreading the infection, since surely if they trap the virus in them, they are in fact THE most infectious thing out there.  Doctors/health practitioners that use them have a protocol for disposal and they use the masks ONE time for ONE patient.   Keep in mind the vaccine has always been an "emergency use" vaccine.  It should have been administered to the most vulnerable, since they now know the lower in age you go the far less a risk you have of a severe outcome from this virus.  Thirty years and younger they now know have a greater risk of being hit by lightning  and 20 and younger are having more issues with the vaccine than with the virus.  And no child (unless they are immune-suppressed and doctor recommended) should get this shot since they have NO clue what it will do when these kids go through puberty.  They don't know what it will do down the road to all the adults with certain conditions, and medications down the road. 

Keep wearing a mask if it makes you feel safer, get a shot if you are in the most vulnerable group.    When someone says to me "I did my research before I decided to get the vaccine" My reply will always be "You are the research".   And I dropped my mask as soon as businesses dropped their signs.   And yes, it is good to see people smile.  And from what I see in my area a lot of people are happy and smiling again. 

masks.png

Best post on this Virus that I have read here!!!  Thank You!