Esteemed Contributor

Re: Masks Off Time to Smile Again

@R6-T4 wrote:

The masks are more about protecting those around you than yourself, and that has always been the case. While the COVID particles themselves are small enough to pass through the fibers of a mask, they are not when attached to saliva. An unmasked person, asymptomatic or not, merely talking to someone else will distribute saliva particles. If that person has COVID, then the virus transmits with it. The masks keep the saliva contained.

As to the vaccine, as with any vaccine, it is not 100% effective. A vaccine helps you fight off getting it, but if you do catch it, you will have better odds of pulling through it. 

A lot of the things that were and are done to fight COVID are about protecting those around you, and not yourself. With vaccination rates as miserably low as they are in some states, it's no wonder this is still spreading and people SHOULD still be wearing masks, but nope, more important to be selfish.

@R6-T4  Not wearing a mask does not make anyone selfish.  This is America.  We are free here and should be able to make that decision for ourselves.  I do what is best for me not everyone else.  

Honored Contributor

@Susan in California wrote:

What keeps me wearing a mask indoors are the people out there

who still haven't/won't get vaccinated.  Just today, in small talk at

the store during check-out, I asked the checker if he had been

vaccinated.  He said "no" and just shrugged.  Those folks are

everywhere. 

@Susan in California   I keep seeing this from vaccinated people-why are you concerned if you are vaccinated????

This makes absolutely no sense.

"Those folks are everywhere" - their choice.  Just like a flu shot every season.

If you are vaccinated-then where are you getting the facts that you are still at risk from non-vaccinated people?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

everywhere. 

@Susan in California 

I don't understand .....   Wasn't the point of you getting vaccinated to protect you from the virus, regardless of what anyone else has done?  

@Tinkrbl44   I don't understand this either.  We keep seeing this over and over again.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Just Bling   I agree!  Most people have stopped wearing them.  I stopped awhile ago.  People seem happier and I doubt they will ever wear them again.   I know I won't. 

@BalletBabe   Be prepared to get the new variant of Covid called Delta.  It's much more transmissable and deadly.  It is people like yourself spreading the disease because you won't wear a mask.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

everywhere. 

@Susan in California 

I don't understand .....   Wasn't the point of you getting vaccinated to protect you from the virus, regardless of what anyone else has done?  

@Tinkrbl44   You are forgetting about the new variants, Delta for one, and then there's a variant of the Delta variety.  Both are much more transmissable and much more deadly.

Super Contributor

@eadu4, I didn't want to quote your entire post, but I have a question about this one statement:   "They do not know all the side effects from these shots are yet.  That is why everyone who got a shot signed a piece of paper absolving the pharma companies of ANY liability for this emergency use vaccine."   

What signed piece of paper are you referring to?  I don't know anyone who had to sign a piece of paper absolving anyone of anything to get a shot.  Was that just a local thing?

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

everywhere. 

Unfortunately true. "Those folks are everywhere."

The abivalent attitude irks me. But then I lost my mom to it, and have friends that lost relatives...so I'm not in the "it's all about what I want" camp. And believe me...I'm not a fan of wearing masks either, and happy in some circumstances now we can be free of them. But...when I think it calls for it still (and unfortunately the non-vaxers may keep us there longer) I will wear it.

BF says when he traveled for business to Asian countries, long before Covid, the Asians always wore masks when flying. Made us decide to do the same. Flying was always a closed cabin filled with circulating germs, passengers coughing. In regular life though he says he's "done with them" because of the contradicting info constantly thrown at us ...it helps, it doesn't, it helps, it doesn't...

Do the best we can. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

everywhere. 

@Susan in California 

Vaccinations supposedly don't keep us from contracting the virus, but hopefully if contracted the effects on you are lessened. I don't want the virus period. I will do what I feel I can to remain safe. No big deal to me. Safety for me and others who are still vulnerable. #doyourpart is my thought on it.

Honored Contributor

everywhere. 

@Susan in California 

Yes, they are.  I'm one of them and I'm in New Mexico.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Is it wonderful walking into any store and see someone smile at you.

It doesn't have to be a big wide smile but just a little goes a long way.

Remember it may not be beneficial to you (probably will) but you can't imagine what it means to them.

@Just Bling. No, it isn't.  Fortunately most people where I go are still wearing masks despite the mandate being lifted. Not even 50%  have been vaccinated in the state nor the county where I live.  Thank goodness I'm not being smiled at because most are sensible enough to still be wearing masks.