Regular Contributor

Those who think it is okay to wear a face shield please rethink.  They are to prevent fluid being splashed in your face.  They are ineffectivce for air borne virus particles.  Retired RN here.  Wore face shield when I worked in dialysii as there is a high risk of blood contamination.  Masks protect you and others.  If Drs and nurses did not wear them in the operation arena they would be infecting the open wounds with all kinds of stuff including MRSAand VRE.  

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Our area is requiring face coverings...masks with ear loops or toes in the back. no bandanas, plastic shields or gaiters. I have no idea why gaiters aren’t allowed since that actually cover even more of your face, but the plastic face shields and bandanas have been given a thumbs-down by the medical people who say they do not offer enough protection from the person wearing it.

@lovesrecess,  a big thank you!  Your "toes" typo gave me a very much needed laugh.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

My state's ordinance says a mask is required and it has to cover the nose, mouth and fit snugly against the sides of the face. Face shields are not accepted according the mandate rules here.

Regular Contributor

To me, it's the same as saying someone has an athletic calf, inside of wide calf.  Just phrasing to make it sound nicer.  Same thing with fabrication, just call it a fabric.

Honored Contributor

They may be trying to avoid triggering the anti-maskers. A pointless endeavor, in my opinion.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor
A face covering can be cotton, can be a bandana or a gaiter. If a mandate states “a mask” then it must be a mask line the blue surgical with ear loops or N95. A face covering can be made of cotton which is porous and thin. A mask would offer more protection
Honored Contributor

I was at the mall Saturday. They use to have the mall entrances unlocked, but now they open them at 10:00. I was speaking to a man and a woman, they were sitting on a bench outside waiting for the mall to open (I kept my distance). He didn't have his mask on, she was wearing something they call a gaiter (?). All the while she was talking I keep thinking the fabric was so thin, I think a mask is so much better.

Honored Contributor

Re: Mask or Face Cover?

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I was at the mall Saturday. They use to have the mall entrances unlocked, but now they open them at 10:00. I was speaking to a man and a woman, they were sitting on a bench outside waiting for the mall to open (I kept my distance). He didn't have his mask on, she was wearing something they call a gaiter (?). All the while she was talking I keep thinking the fabric was so thin, I think a mask is so much better.

Those gaiter type coverings are made of a super thin knit fabric. When you breath or talk through them, the thin fabric acts like a micronizing media where it causes droplets to become even more smaller and extremely airborne b/c the droplets have become micronized droplets. Some say those gaiter type covers should be banned b/c of what they do to droplets.

Trusted Contributor

I heard that gaiters are okay IF they are cotton and triple layered.  A lot of gaiters are made of polyester and blends which aren't effective against covid droplets.  

A face shield by itself is problematic.  I saw an imaging study on tv of how the airflow actually goes under and up into the face shield.  Ideally you still need to wear a mask under a face shield.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Our area is requiring face coverings...masks with ear loops or toes in the back. no bandanas, plastic shields or gaiters. I have no idea why gaiters aren’t allowed since that actually cover even more of your face, but the plastic face shields and bandanas have been given a thumbs-down by the medical people who say they do not offer enough protection from the person wearing it.

Gaiters have only one layer of protection.  Masks, including the cheapest disposable ones, have several layers.