Esteemed Contributor

I noticed that when the host say mask they immediately switch and say face cover. Why? What is wrong with the word mask?

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

My State requires a face covering, it doesn't have to be a mask...I wear a face shield.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I think that explanation makes sense, @kitcat51

I believe my hubby looked it up at some point, and that our state has specified something like " a two layered face covering",  or mask.   So I expect the hosts are trying to cover all bases by saying that, @Nancy Drew .

Honored Contributor

Re: Mask or Face Cover?

[ Edited ]

Our area is requiring face coverings...masks with ear loops or toes in the back. no bandanas, plastic shields or gaiters. I have no idea why gaiters aren’t allowed since that actually cover even more of your face, but the plastic face shields and bandanas have been given a thumbs-down by the medical people who say they do not offer enough protection from the person wearing it.

Honored Contributor

As long as they both have pockets to insert a piece or two of a paper towel.  Or some type of filter.

Having a pocket probably is a good idea, imo.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Our area is requiring face coverings...masks with ear loops or toes in the back. no bandanas, plastic shields or gaiters. I have no idea why gaiters aren’t allowed since that actually cover even more of your face, but the plastic face shields and bandanas have been given a thumbs-down by the medical people who say they do not offer enough protection from the person wearing it.

@lovesrecess 

About a month ago on the news they were talking about a study (studies?) on the effectiveness of various face coverings.  Gaiters were down at the bottom.  I think it might be that they're generally made of such thin fabric. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Re: Mask or Face Cover?

[ Edited ]

I think there is a component of making it feel less clinical, less mandated, less restrictive to say face covering as opposed to mask. 

There is a lot of controversy about the legality of mandating and "masks" is usually used in that context. 

I think the hosts are searching for (or been told by QVC to use) a less inflammatory terms for the same thing. 

I always feel the term 'face covering' is being used to lessen the controversy of or the restrictiveness of the item.

Esteemed Contributor

Some "masks" for the face are beauty  poducts.

Honored Contributor

Under OSHA regulations, there are specific definitions for "mask," and a lot of requirements when selling them and for specific uses.

People are getting away from the term "mask" and using "face covering," which is what is in all the state requirements.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Whatever they're called, just wear one. :-) The country is seeing numbers that are higher than the worst we've seen since the beginning.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland