Honored Contributor

Re: Marketing to the Modern Family

@queendiva wrote:

Can't read this- print is way too small.

In the NYC area, a sign of status among younger couples is having more than one or two children and a nanny, full or part time- even if the mother is at home or works from home. 

Bonus points for the big dog added to the family.

As always with change comes both the good and the bad.

-----------------------

I was about to say the same thing about nannies (and grandparents who generally live in the area).  

If you go down to the park or walk by the playgrounds in the afternoon ... so many nannies are out with the kids.  Kids playing together ...

One of my neighbors, Dad works from home.  The kids go to the local Catholic school ... only a couple of blocks away.  Fantastic family!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Absolutely.   I have been watching this very closely for some years.  Not sure what YOU have in mind, but this is what I have been observing.  

I see no change in the products as much as it is the ads themselves.  It's not only the family, it's also pairings, and belittling specific actors in the ads.  

It isn't that the "Traditional family" has changed, it's those with a special interest in wanting it to change who have been working on our impressionable youth to change their perception of the "family."

It's been very obvious to me companies have been marketing to TraditionALL for quite some time, slowly increasing over time.  Now, it's pretty much all I have seen.  But it appears to me considering these people are still very much a minority, it seems advertising has been pushing a message along with their products.

It isn't so much the companies whose products are being advertised as it is those who have the most influence on them.  "Promoting" TraditionALL that in reality actually targets a very small number of people who would be interested, not the Traditional family majority who isn't, is as I see it, a form of messaging trying to transform "the Traditional family" into TraditionALL by changing their minds.  So, they are not only selling products, they are selling TraditionalAll without saying so in the ad.  

Humans are very susceptible to advertising not realizing that seeing something repetitively often changes minds.  If that's all they see, they are more likely to follow suit.  

There is some reason they are doing it.  It's clear to me they are trying to change "Traditional family" culture into TraditionAll.  Advertising is just one method for accomplishing this goal.  Others are being used, as well.

So, yes, advertising to the masses has dramatically changed.

@Foxxee. Don’t know if this is what you are talking about but I know a lot of people who are so disgusted with the new traditional families now shown on tv. These are people in my town who feel this way and it horrifies me. Although I don’t think you have come to the same conclusion that I have.

@proudlyfromNJ  @Foxxee 

Yep, dont care for the way a traditional family is portrayed in advertising and on TV shows, and sometimes it appears they are pushing an "agenda"...What I've noticed is the parent, (or sometimes parentS), are dumb, stupid, and silly, the kids are sarcastic, clever, entitled and smart ...

@Spurt.  I haven’t noticed the parents and kids interactions. I try not to watch commercials if possible. Yes, as I said I know people do not want this to be pushed or happen in our country. My husband tells me that in the clubs he belongs to in town they mute these commercials and they also have stopped putting pro basketball games on the tv. 

Myself, I see nothing wrong with showing diversified families, but didn’t know how offensive it is to most people until the last few years.

@proudlyfromNJ 

Not quite what I had in mind....not talking about diversity but other things ---lack of responsibility, everyone's a victim,  lack of respect by kids for authority in general and for their peers .....entitlement....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I guess you’re right . Like I said I don’t have kids, am rarely around them. I guess everyone does feel entitled. Sad world.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Spurt.  Oh, I don’t really pay attention to the kid stuff. I don’t have kids but I have read on here people saying they are disrespectful. I just have the two nephews and one niece. 26to 34. They seem to be fine, so I guess it’s the younger ones which I have not had interaction with in years.

@proudlyfromNJ 

I think it all boils down to each child's upbringing.....My Friends's young grandchildren are a joy to be around....as are their young adults....but others not so much.....its the focus, training, and teaching by the adults in their life....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I welcome advertising that includes diverse families and lifestyles. Traditions  and customs change and there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't welcome advertising. Period. I abhor it. That said, it would be nice if no one had too much heartburn with ads that depict non-tradtional families, couples, whatever... As noted, things change, as they should... It's when virtually every ad becomes an exercise in 'we are the world' that they become tiresome, and frankly, not very realistic or relatable to large segments of the population... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

Other, potentially, than for a new product, advertising doesn't really influence my choices. I find it so annoying I ignore it as best I can. Of course, if the TV is on, you're more inundated by it than ever, so it's hard to ignore. I see a distinct difference in ads but not all of it seems family related. Let's face it, I've always found advertising to be a pain in the neck but the lengths today's advertising reaches to ensure they represent (or over-represent, as it were) every conceivable niche audience would be laughable if it weren't so glairingly obvious... I'm also not a fan of the too loud (let's get their attention) formulas, intrusive music and what used to be called 'jingles' and so on... Some would say if an ad gets your attention it's doing its job. I disagree because if an ad annoys me too much I make it a point NOT to buy the product... I'm not sure that's the end goal they're seeking...

@stevieb 

VERY WELL SAID!

ITA, advertising doesn't influence me either and 98.99% of it is just downright annoying, irritating, tiresome, bothersome and AWFUL....And the most awful songs that I was so glad not to hear anymore have been resurrected in these commercials...

And like you said, sadly it seems very little time for the actual show/movie/sporting event these days compared to the time devoted to commercials....Woman Frustrated 

Trusted Contributor

If "TraditionALL" means inclusiveness and respect for the humanity of my fellow human beings, then YES, I support that.  How other people choose to express their love for one another and form familial relationships has little to do with how I live my life or my own level of contentment; the desire to do those things are endemic to our human nature and we are all human.  It is not my place to decide what is right or wrong for everyone--that is for the One Who Is Greater Than I.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Other, potentially, than for a new product, advertising doesn't really influence my choices. I find it so annoying I ignore it as best I can. Of course, if the TV is on, you're more inundated by it than ever, so it's hard to ignore. I see a distinct difference in ads but not all of it seems family related. Let's face it, I've always found advertising to be a pain in the neck but the lengths today's advertising reaches to ensure they represent (or over-represent, as it were) every conceivable niche audience would be laughable if it weren't so glairingly obvious... I'm also not a fan of the too loud (let's get their attention) formulas, intrusive music and what used to be called 'jingles' and so on... Some would say if an ad gets your attention it's doing its job. I disagree because if an ad annoys me too much I make it a point NOT to buy the product... I'm not sure that's the end goal they're seeking...

@stevieb 

VERY WELL SAID!

ITA, advertising doesn't influence me either and 98.99% of it is just downright annoying, irritating, tiresome, bothersome and AWFUL....And the most awful songs that I was so glad not to hear anymore have been resurrected in these commercials...

And like you said, sadly it seems very little time for the actual show/movie/sporting event these days compared to the time devoted to commercials....Woman Frustrated 

@Spurt  Ads are completely out of control... A 30 minute program now consists of about 17 minutes of actual programming, if that, the rest is ads... I've virtually stopped watching sports because the ads are so rampant (and annoying) that they completely change the 'flow' of the game... Not only that, but they make what should be a two hour contest into a four hour marathon... On and on and on... You see five minutes of a show and then a half dozen, or more, ads, before returning for another few minutes of actual programming... So many reasons for this but overpaying 'talent' (of all types), too large production staffs at all levels, and corporate greed account for most of it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@queendiva wrote:

Can't read this- print is way too small.

In the NYC area, a sign of status among younger couples is having more than one or two children and a nanny, full or part time- even if the mother is at home or works from home. 

Bonus points for the big dog added to the family.

As always with change comes both the good and the bad.

In the NYC area, only a very fortunate few are able to support and have room for a nanny. Nannies were much more common in the middle class during the 80's and 90's. The majority of working parents today either have childcare provided by grandma and/or grandpa,  private daycare or are enrolled in the new free pre-K.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb 

VERY WELL SAID!

@Spurt  Ads are completely out of control... A 30 minute program now consists of about 17 minutes of actual programming, if that, the rest is ads... I've virtually stopped watching sports because the ads are so rampant (and annoying) that they completely change the 'flow' of the game... Not only that, but they make what should be a two hour contest into a four hour marathon... On and on and on... You see five minutes of a show and then a half dozen, or more, ads, before returning for another few minutes of actual programming... So many reasons for this but overpaying 'talent' (of all types) and corporate greed account for most of it...

@stevieb 

You NAILED IT!!!.....

And I thought the NFL Commish was going to limit commercials....but instead we get a split screen with a miniature view of the field and a commercial along the side of it.....Woman Frustrated  

Even Judge Judy .....I enjoy watching her show but am ready to give it up....after watching a slew of commercials...back to the show for 5 minutes and then breaking for another round of commercials....SMH!!!  I think maybe Judge Judy needs to take a pay cut so her viewers don't have to endure this assualt of commercials to pay her outrageous salary!! 

There's one lawyer that monopolizes a lot of TV time here....you can't even escape him by watching the cable channels.....He's EVERYWHERE!!!!.....He must spend a fortune on advertising.....  A friend of mine was laughing because she said he must need the business to support his lifestyle....because his latest commercial shows him drinking a cup of coffee at his hilltop mansion, then being whisked away in a limo, to take him to his private jet to go to one of his cases at one of his offices in several Texas cities....Woman Tongue  And if that was bad enough now the other law offices are trying to compete with him---ARRRGGGHHH!!!  

And I wonder what the price of cars would be if car manufacturers spent less on advertising....and dont even mention the Pharmacuetical ads....