Honored Contributor

🤑 Making It Rain Again? 🤑

New Bill Would Give Americans $2,000 Per Month Until Coronavirus Pandemic Is Over

The plan, offered by a trio of progressive senators, aims to provide struggling Americans with lasting economic security through the public health crisis.

The Monthly Economic Crisis Support Act, introduced Friday by Sens. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Bernie Saunders (I-Vt.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.), would provide a monthly $2,000 check to every person with an income below $120,000 throughout the public health crisis and for three months after it officially ends.

In late March, the Senate passed a $2 trillion package called the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, but the trio of progressive senators believes it’s insufficient.

“The CARES Act gave Americans an important one-time payment, but it’s clear that wasn’t nearly enough to meet the needs of this historic crisis,” Harris said in a statement. “Bills will continue to come in every single month during the pandemic and so should help from the government.”

The plan stands a poor chance of passage in the Republican-controlled Senate, which has soured on spending. But with more than 30 million people unemployed over the last seven weeks and no end to the pandemic in sight, Democrats are aiming to up the pressure on congressional leaders as they begin discussions over another fiscal relief package that is expected sometime this month.

The CARES Act provided Americans making up to $99,000 with a maximum of $1,200, with families eligible to receive an additional $500 per child. The checks were limited to Americans with a Social Security number. The new bill offered by Senate Democrats would not impose such a limitation.

The plan would forbid debt collectors from seizing rebate payments. It would also ensure that homeless people and foster children receive payments.

“Providing recurring monthly payments is the most direct and efficient mechanism for delivering economic relief to those most vulnerable in this crisis, particularly low-income families, immigrant communities, and our gig and service workers,” Markey said in a statement.

The senators did not provide a cost estimate for the legislation, though given the expanded timeline and the increased amount per check, it would likely eclipse the cost of the first round of stimulus checks under the CARES Act (about $300 billion).

A couple of House Democrats introduced a similar measure last month that would provide monthly checks to Americans until unemployment falls to pre-coronavirus levels.

The House is expected to take the lead on writing the next coronavirus relief bill, with a draft to come as early as next week. On a call with her caucus on Thursday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other lawmakers voiced support for including $2,000 in recurring monthly payments in the next package for Americans.

SOURCE:  Huffpost

Elmo Faint.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

Re: 🤑 Making It Rain Again? 🤑

Elmo Faint.gif

Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I'm going to bed.  My coping skills just went to pot for the night.  I'll read it again tomorrow.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with you, Elmo.  How can we leave such an enormous national debt for the future generations to have to deal with?  I'm glad I'm as old as I am.   

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

I'd say pie in the sky & laughable BUT no one gives a ---- about the debt anymore, it's just spend spend, spend & pass the crushing debt on to future generations....they're going to despise us & they should.

Esteemed Contributor

We leaning toward that MMT. 

Two problems with it.

Your rent, utilities, food, everything you buy will skyrocket because everyone will have extra cash. And every company you deal with will want it.

Like any other program, it won't end. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

We leaning toward that MMT. 

Two problems with it.

Your rent, utilities, food, everything you buy will skyrocket because everyone will have extra cash. And every company you deal with will want it.

Like any other program, it won't end. 

@Snowpuppy      Not to mention increased sales, property, and state income taxes............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

People are still waiting for the first stimulus check of $1200. That hasn't been resolved.  Thank God we arent in a major military war. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Grief, you just don't give money away willie nillie to every person.   My husband and I, both retired for twelve years, from our wonderful US Government never made a combined income of $120,000.  We lived comfortably, but not extravagent and still do.

Yes, programs need to be established for those unemployed. 

What cracks me up is there were people financially struggling prior to this mess and very little was cared about them.  

Honored Contributor

This sounds like an invention of somebody's Fairy Godmother or Santa Claus.  Not realistic.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment