Respected Contributor

Re: 🤑 Making It Rain Again? 🤑

Universal Basic Income. Lots of interest in it after Andrew Yang's presidential run, but the policy idea itself goes back to the 16th century. I think it has some merit. Here's an article about it from Business Insider:

Universal Basic Income 

Respected Contributor

The New Yorker also had an interesting article in its July 9/16, 2018 issue on the history of consideration of UBI in this country. It's called "Take the Money and Run" in the print edition and "Who Really Stands to Win from Universal Basic Income?" online.

Honored Contributor

I don't know what the eligibility requirements would be but if I met them I DO NOT want it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some  people have no intelligence.  I wonder how they get their jobs and now they get to keep them.  I hope they get fired when they are up again. 

They need replaced ...in the worse way.

Since when is anyone making below $120,000 disadvantaged?  Many families make well below that and live good lives with no financial help from anyone.  That's a lot of income for some states.

Honored Contributor

There was already a large deficit before this virus hit.  We will probably be bankrupt before this is done.  

Honored Contributor

Trillions of dollars are floating around in the name of COVID-19 and I would certainly prefer that more of the everyday folks, including seniors and parents and genuine small businesses get a bigger piece of the pie instead of the larger corporations that just use the money to buy back stock. It's all money we paid in taxes and most of it is going completely to waste. Ridiculous amounts of corruption and cronyism going on with it right now. And much of it completely unmonitored and unaudited, even though it was supposed to be.

One idea would be if they put this money into traditional savings accounts for people, with some limitations on withdrawing it. Hardly anyone here in one of the richest countries on Earth has a sufficient savings account.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain   I'd rather see my taxes lowered, especially real estate and school taxes.  many Seniors have lost their home because they can't afford the taxes once they retired or got sick and lost their income.  This has been going on for years.  Not much has been done to help them.

I don't want my money back.  I just want the government to stop taking so much from the get-go.

The coronavirus isn't going to bankrupt the country.  The idiots in charge of the tax money are going to.  There is zero interest on borrowing money and they are out of control.  Even with zero interest, the government must pay it back.  They are borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Porcelain   I'd rather see my taxes lowered, especially real estate and school taxes.  many Seniors have lost their home because they can't afford the taxes once they retired or got sick and lost their income.  This has been going on for years.  Not much has been done to help them.

I don't want my money back.  I just want the government to stop taking so much from the get-go.

The coronavirus isn't going to bankrupt the country.  The idiots in charge of the tax money are going to.  There is zero interest on borrowing money and they are out of control.  Even with zero interest, the government must pay it back.  They are borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

We already had a tax cut.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This sounds like an invention of somebody's Fairy Godmother or Santa Claus.  Not realistic.

@Kachina624 

But has that ever stopped them before....why they were talking free college, and forgiving all current student loans, ....medicare for all etc etc.......  SANTA HAS ARRIVED!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
QVC Customer Care