Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mailbox hit once again

[ Edited ]

@new nickname 4 @ann1989  According to our Post Master of our neighborhood PO (not the Main PO), he doesn't care what the boxes are mounted on as long as they are stable, maintained and well cleared of bugs, debris, leaves, ice, snow, etc. when the carriers approach them to deliver mail and packages in all kinds of weather

Nebraska Dept. of Roads does enforce the breakaway legislation "in some instances." The individual I spoke with wouldn't come out and admit it would happen after the fact (or accident), but that was the impression I got from the conversation.

In cases (like mine), apparently the brick encasing the mailboxes is constructed no deeper than a post, which would allow a vehicle to break it upon impact. (I went out to look closely and do not see a concrete footing, but those bricks must be buried deep enough to keep them from heaving during our freezing weather. I imagine the brick/mortar work would do some costly damage to a vehicle unless going very slowly.)

Will share with our HOA and have sent emails other HOA's in our community. Have already heard back from several that they have gone to the "group mailboxes" for their townhouses or condos. 

Thanks for an interesting post!

Money screams; wealth whispers.