Honored Contributor

I live on a very busy road, been a little over 6 yrs, my box was hit and destroyed for 3rd time, nice christmas present,  i even put reflective tape on this last one, going to post office tomorrow,i know they will be extra busy today,and see  what i can do.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: Mailbox hit once again

[ Edited ]

Sorry that happened again @goldensrbest .  Ours seems to have that type of luck in our neighborhood.  We haven't figured out why we are the only "lucky" ones.  LOL

This time DH filled a metal post with concrete so our mailbox won't be the only thing damaged.  Our mailman laughed so hard when he saw DH doing it.  He said he had to do the same thing with his.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

My mean self would put in such a major structure that it would destroy their car rather than the box.  Whew, got that out of my system.

Once I was customizing my new house and went out to the garage with the builder, he had installed two MAJOR steel posts in front of the water heater and the furnace.  I was so insulted until I hit them a couple of times.  Works like a charm.

Honored Contributor

I guess that's why I sometimes see a curbside mail box with a brick surround!  Sorry it's happened to you so often!

Trusted Contributor

Here is what my parents did after vandals destroyed yet another mailbox. Had a hole dug into the ground,  Put a piece of pipe - 8.00" extra heavy - in as the post.  Filled the post with concrete.  Attached a new mailbox.  You should have seen the faces of the kids when they tried to knock down the new post with their car. They couldn't believe it.  Bet they had some explaining to do to their folks when they got home  ... 

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

Sorry that happened again @goldensrbest .  Ours seems to have that type of luck in our neighborhood.  We haven't figured out why we are the only "lucky" ones.  LOL

This time DH filled a metal post with concrete so our mailbox won't be the only thing damaged.  Our mailman laughed so hard when he saw DH doing it.  He dais he had to do the same thing with his.

@Preds 

That's exactly what my husband did years ago when we had the same trouble often.  He also made an solid iron mailbox so they couldn't just damage the box itself.  We knew it was just kids doing it on purpose.

It was never hit again, but he did go out one morning to find a chain attached to the mailbox post with someone's truck bumper attached to the chain!  We were never bothered again. 🤣

Honored Contributor

@geezerette ... Perfect!  LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Are you saying that cars are hitting your mailbox deliberately?    

Respected Contributor

Awhile ago a salesman at home depot told us the green Rubbermaid plastic mail boxes are indestructible. Yes they can be pulled down, but as long as it's not stolen you can just place them back in place.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

When I lived in Virginia on a cul de sac, our community mailbox was knocked down multiple times, but by the snow plows. I guss making it around the turns were too much, so we had to wait for new mailboxes several times during a really bad winter.