Honored Contributor

I do wonder if the same person the past two times have done this on purpose, but why?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

After our third mailbox was smashed, we bought a wall mailbox and attached it to the wall adjacent to our garage.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

A friend of mine has had her mail box vandalized because someone does not like the political signs she had out.  Twice.

Super Contributor

ann1989, my state is Nebraska.  I copied this from the gov.article

NEBRASKA DEPARTMENT OF ROADS - RIGHT OF WAY Division 

Mailbox supports shall not be set in concrete.

004.04 Mailboxes must be mounted upon a breakaway post conforming to the following: 

A breakaway 2-piece post, with a weight no greater than two pounds per foot and embedded no more Ihan 3 feet 6 inches Into the ground will be acceptable as a mailbox support.

I have a swing away mailbox, it is a small diameter pole, with a swivel bracket on the top that attaches to the box.  If snow or anything else hits it, the box swings 360 degrees without damage.   

Regular Contributor

@new nickname 4thanks for the info!

Honored Contributor

I live rural and there are frequent mailbox accidents on my road; mainly because people drive too fast or they’re under the influence of drugs or alcohol.   I live on a straight stretch of road; a hill at the top, and a curve below me, and people still hit my box, run thru my brothers yard, a truck nearly took out my parents garage wall, and someone nearly hit my mom halfway down her sidewalk as they ran thru her yard.   

In earlier years we also had our mailbox damaged by sledgehammers, as pranks by high school kids.  My husband then welded together a 75 lb mailbox that sits on part of an old utility pole.   The last time someone hit it with a 7 lb sledgehammer, the handle shattered, both head and handle were found in the field, so someone just might have snapped their wrist with that prank!  A tiny speck of black paint was missing on the mailbox.   The mailbox has also been hit by one car; the box didn’t move, the post was skinned up, air bags deployed and the car had to be towed with a busted radiator.   

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a brand new BIG mailbox thinking it would allow for the mail person to have more  room to place boxes and mail without actually having to go up my driveway and place the bigger items on my porch.    (We are rural).  I do buy many things online.  Well this better idea of mine really backfired.  The mail carrier STUFFED everything inside.  She had more room but she took advantage and the door to my box broke off as well as causing a big dent that I cannot fix.  Next time around I am going back to the small box version.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mailbox hit once again

[ Edited ]

@new nickname 4 wrote:

ann1989, my state is Nebraska.  I copied this from the gov.article

NEBRASKA DEPARTMENT OF ROADS - RIGHT OF WAY Division 

Mailbox supports shall not be set in concrete.

004.04 Mailboxes must be mounted upon a breakaway post conforming to the following: 

A breakaway 2-piece post, with a weight no greater than two pounds per foot and embedded no more Ihan 3 feet 6 inches Into the ground will be acceptable as a mailbox support.

I have a swing away mailbox, it is a small diameter pole, with a swivel bracket on the top that attaches to the box.  If snow or anything else hits it, the box swings 360 degrees without damage.   

@new nickname 4  This is news to me! I'm also in Nebraska. Most of my neighbors and I have brick enclosed mailboxes to match our homes. So does my son & DIL and their neighbors in another part of Lincoln. My son and I have both been active (over many years) on our HOA Boards and have never heard of this when new construction has been going on in our area and needed Board and/or City approval. (Additionally, many HOA officers are familiar with how other HOA's are governed. Something like this would be shared with all HOA's quickly.)

I have shared it with my son and will share it with our HOA, as well as talk with our neighborhood Post Master either tomorrow or Monday. Will also contact NDOR to find out if this is still enforced.

That was an eye-opener post! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Regular Contributor

Very interesting @BirkiLady please let us know what is said! Thank you. 

Respected Contributor

Our house is up on a hill but mailbox is on the busy road below. We’ve had a regular mailbox obliterated twice. Then we bought a thick plastic one and that’s been slammed into the nearby ditch twice but resurrected and set back in place. All these were caused by folks losing control due to speeding or snowy conditions. 

DH considered setting a steel bar in cement and building a wood frame around it to mount the box on top. I vetoed it because I’m concerned someone could be killed if they plowed into it. Hub did move location slightly farther off the road last time and so far it’s been ok.