Honored Contributor

Re: Mail Carrier without Mask

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

If I was worried about disease or Covid, I probably wouldn't be sitting out in front where there is a greater chance to run into people.   That makes the most sense 

But we're not supposed to hide in our basements or be afraid of dying. We're all supposed to walk around and live life among all the people who don't wear masks. Even if we are immune compromised, the plan right now is for all of us to act like nothing is going on, catch Covid, and hopefully survive. And if not, no biggie because we were weak anyway.

Just reflecting back the responses I often see. Stay home and don't stay home at the same time. And above all, stay quiet and don't criticize anyone who might give you Covid because they could get violent if contradicted in any way.

If someone is immunocompromised, they should be home   

I don't want to get sick.  I wear a mask.  I limit my interactions with people and I limit where I go.   But if I was compromised, I wouldn't go out.   I wouldn't sit out front where there is a risk of coming into contact with someone not wearing a mask.   Not everyone does and that's on them.   I don't expect everyone to do the right thing.  That's on me.  I'm the only one who can protect myself as best I can 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have never heard any poster here say that they have or would confront and chastise a person for not wearing a mask. I think all of us here know that it would not be wise.

I think that those who suggested that the OP should ask her mail person were not thinking in terms of being aggressive but just asking what the department's policy is.

Having said that, when we've had workers come to our house, we have always requested that they wear masks. It's never been a problem.

Then you aren't paying attention. I've seen many say it. 

I've only heard of such scenes on the news. Alert me when one of us recommends walking up to someone and scolding them to their face.

Oh actually, I do know such a incident in my real life. My daughter was walking her dog on a path in front of their house just quickly enough for her to do her business -- the dog, that is. She was not near anyone.

A man came by and starting yelling and cursing at her for not wearing a mask. Yes, she should have and normally does. But it was quick and, again, distanced.

Thankfully she was smart enough to ignore him. Plus, he was elderly so she felt less threatened.

ETA: @Lali1 

I did not say I know of people here who have done that. I said I know people here who say that if they saw someone without a mask they would confront them. 

Honored Contributor

I have never seen a mail carrier without his/her mask on.  BUT....I did see a shopper from Instacart arrive & get out of his car to  start to unload the food with out it on.  It was around his neck & he simply forgot to pull it up.  Usually in your car, you don't wear it.   I pointed it to him & he hastily put it on.  I've been guilty of forgetting to pull my mask up too when I get out of the car..

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have never heard any poster here say that they have or would confront and chastise a person for not wearing a mask. I think all of us here know that it would not be wise.

I think that those who suggested that the OP should ask her mail person were not thinking in terms of being aggressive but just asking what the department's policy is.

Having said that, when we've had workers come to our house, we have always requested that they wear masks. It's never been a problem.

Then you aren't paying attention. I've seen many say it. 

I've only heard of such scenes on the news. Alert me when one of us recommends walking up to someone and scolding them to their face.

Oh actually, I do know such a incident in my real life. My daughter was walking her dog on a path in front of their house just quickly enough for her to do her business -- the dog, that is. She was not near anyone.

A man came by and starting yelling and cursing at her for not wearing a mask. Yes, she should have and normally does. But it was quick and, again, distanced.

Thankfully she was smart enough to ignore him. Plus, he was elderly so she felt less threatened.

ETA: @Lali1 

I did not say I know of people here who have done that. I said I know people here who say that if they saw someone without a mask they would confront them. 

@Lali1, well, then, I would think that that's just venting and not meant to be taken literally. When I hear or see someone doing something dangerous in any way, I may think thoughts that of course I would never act upon.

I take many comments online as just musing out loud in a bravado way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I have never seen a mail carrier without his/her mask on.  BUT....I did see a shopper from Instacart arrive & get out of his car to  start to unload the food with out it on.  It was around his neck & he simply forgot to pull it up.  Usually in your car, you don't wear it.   I pointed it to him & he hastily put it on.  I've been guilty of forgetting to pull my mask up too when I get out of the car..

Exactly. You just cheerfully say, "Hey, could you pull your mask up?" With a smile.  If they don't, you just leave. It's not some giant confrontation. Most people are not psychopaths. And most know they are supposed to wear them inside in public.

I have sometimes imagined instead, coughing and hacking up a storm and shouting "I feel feverish!" After a maskless person passes near me. Someone would really have to tick me off before I would do that though. So it probably won't happen.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain 

He was not wearing a mask around his neck, he had no mask that was seen 

@Porcelain wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Exactly. You just cheerfully say, "Hey, could you pull your mask up?" With a smile.  If they don't, you just leave. It's not some giant confrontation. Most people are not psychopaths. And most know they are supposed to wear them inside in public.

I have sometimes imagined instead, coughing and hacking up a storm and shouting "I feel feverish!" After a maskless person passes near me. Someone would really have to tick me off before I would do that though. So it probably won't happen.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some people's immunosuppresion only affects them if it's something they don't want to do, but if it's something they want to do, it's suddenly not a big concern. 

Honored Contributor

Mandates are not laws, mine doesn't wear one but he's nowhere near others while delivering.  When is this faux shaming gonna end?

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse 

I am well aware of my issues and I protect myself from others and given the nature of Covid I would expect the same from them, I will only go into a situation where masks are required
Why is  it you take every opportunity to denigrate what I have said, you are not very nice towards me and I really do not deserve it 

@GenXmuse wrote:

Some people's immunosuppresion only affects them if it's something they don't want to do, but if it's something they want to do, it's suddenly not a big concern. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

Mine doesn't wear one. I don't mind it's hot and he doesn't come in contact with people. 

I find it odd that people say if they see someone without a mask they will confront them. So you are fearful of getting the virus yet you will walk up to someone not wearing a mask to chastise them? Seems the smartest thing to do is to walk as far away as possible. It's not about safety for some it's about telling others what to do. 

EXACTLY.