Respected Contributor

Re: MY WASHING MACHINE JUST DIED!!

[ Edited ]

@nana59 wrote:

i know there have been many threads about washing machines....but i didn't think i was going to need one...mine was only 7 years old!  i want a basic...no frills....top-loading machine.....that uses enough water to get clothes clean....i remember reading that high-efficiency machines don't use enough water......it's just the two of us...i have no idea where to start looking.....thanks....low to moderate pricing...thanks...

@nana59

Oh how I feel your pain.  Mine died the day I was having surgery. 

We went with a Maytag toploader which I like except, the cycle is really long.  The old one I could advance the timing dial mid-cycle.  The new one also makes some very strange noises particularly during the final spin cycle.  It's a good thing the delivery/technician warned me about them.

I forgot to say, the tub is huge and very deep.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt......totally agree about not being able to get the last sock or item out of the bottom of the washer.  I'm only 5' and when I was doing my own laundry I really struggled with that....  But, you might consider using a grabber to get things out of the bottom.  That would keep you from hurting yourself.  That would be worth what little bit those grabbers cost.  Just a suggestion.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter......but if it is a minor repair, it is still cheaper than having to buy a new one.  

Respected Contributor

I know this post isn't going to make you feel any better but my still under warranty Matag Bravos top loader is waiting for repair for the second time.  Washer died the day before Christmas Eve.  Called the Maytag repair number in the warranty book and they send out a 3rd party repair service.  Man came almost a week after I called.  He put the machine in test mode and bingo it worked. He says, there are no codes showing anything wrong and the machine is okay.  So, he leaves.  I then fill the machine with dirty clothes, put a laundry pod in and push the wash button. It fills with water and then NOTHING!  Couldn't get it to drain, rinse, spin or anything.  Had to take all the clothes out and try and wring them by hand and go to the laundromat (which I havent been to in 40 years).  

Put a call in to the repair service and told them he was here not 15 minutes ago and send him back.  She says, sorry we can't do that.  The earliest we can have him there is Jan.8th (tomorrow) after waiting 6 days.  I'm so done with this piece of Maytag garbage!  It will be out of warranty on the 23rd of this month.  

There aren't any good washers left.  Even the Speed Queen has decided to make an inferior 2018 machine and Whirlpool has bought out Maytag and a ton of other manufacturers.  So, good luck finding any decent appliances.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

@nana59,

I feel for you. It's not fun to have to replace a major appliance.

My Maytag top loader is probably close to 10 years old now. I have been very happy with it. It's a high capacity washer, so I can fit a queen sized quilt in it.  

I like the idea of no agitator in the new machines. I'm not sold on the front loader idea though. 

Hoping I do t have to make that choice for awhile yet!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My problem is not with appliances.....it's with my mattress.  it's about 8 or 9 years old, and am thinking I am in need of a new one.  Have a feeling this might be why I'm having a problem with my back hurting me so much.  Yes, I rotate it, but there is nothing like the old beds when you could turn the mattress over.  These fandangled beds can't be done that way today.  Dread having to go out looking for a new bed.  

I understand this is not about beds, but just had to let off a little steam about my bed.  And, beds can't be repaired.  

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@chickenbutt......totally agree about not being able to get the last sock or item out of the bottom of the washer.  I'm only 5' and when I was doing my own laundry I really struggled with that....  But, you might consider using a grabber to get things out of the bottom.  That would keep you from hurting yourself.  That would be worth what little bit those grabbers cost.  Just a suggestion.

Oh wow, I can't even imagine how much harder it is for you!  I'm 5'4", if even still that.   I have to hike myself up on one leg and this whole thing to get that last little thing off the bottom.  Tried the step ladder and that's just not a good idea.   

I love your idea about the grabber (I do have one), or a pair of tongs as another poster mentioned to me the other day.  I'm going to use one of those next time because I'm having a hella time getting my ribs to heal from that one injury.  Never again!

Thank You!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

13 months ago I trashed a Bosch front loader and purchased a Whirlpool HE top load washer, for about $460.00.   The reviews on this model were mixed, but I don’t pay much attention to those, and am quite satisfied with the washer.   

This washer has different cycle options, as well as the ability to choose between 2 water level options; auto sensing, or deep water fill.   Most of the time when I choose auto sensing, I still get a full tub of wash and rinse water, so no complaints there.   Everything comes out of this machine totally wet.  

If I had to find a negative with this machine, it would be in relation to an unbalanced load, and how long it takes the machine to balance that out.   

For me, the only drawback with a new HE washer is finding one with the wash cycles I need, and a deep water feature.  

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt @ShowMe  I have the same exact problem being barely 5 ft with a deep top loader washer.  I had to get a stepstool that I keep in the laundry room so I can step up just to reach down & get the clothes!  And I have hurt my ribs a couple of times doing it.

Honored Contributor

@nova.....time to invest in a grabber.  Cheaper than a visit to the doctor for an injury....like falling off the step stool.

My washer is a deep load one....and made it difficult to get on my tip toes to grab anything.  At that time I didn't have the grabber.