Honored Contributor

Re: MIDWESTERN FUN AND GAMES

Great responses, thank you!

@piperbay,  and @MoJoV ,  ditto, in Canada, (southern Ontario at least),  "front room" is the living room.  I knew there were certain similarities between Midwesterners and Canucks!   Shared "Great Lakes" culture, to some degree...

My very favorite, and revealing example of "Midwesternness" that they gave, was the scribbled sign on the door of the store, which tersely explained:

"Closed for tornado.   Back in 30."

That casual "Back in 30"!!!   I'd be cowering under my bed for at least a day or three, I think, after a typical Midwestern twister.  But this is the hardy, tough, resilient stock of the Midwesterner.  Love that, and I've seen that up close in hubby's Illinois side of the family, again and again.

I could be wrong, but I think the author of this site is a Midwesterner him or herself, and there's a sturdy, self-deprecating, but quietly proud feeling for the region and people in his/her posts.  And wonderful humor. 

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I grew up in Chicago.    It's true about the weather...after all, it's a lot better than North Dakota...    However, the Blizzard of '67 was a deal-breaker...I moved to Los Angeles(!)

@Desertdi 

But just think: We survived The Big Snow!

Motorists trying to leave snowbound Lake Shore Drive at Foster Avenue in January 1967 got no ...

Good times... good times...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Yes, I was a kid in Rogers Park and I wore gym shoes.

Thanks for the giggle! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I grew up in Chicago.    It's true about the weather...after all, it's a lot better than North Dakota...    However, the Blizzard of '67 was a deal-breaker...I moved to Los Angeles(!)

@Desertdi 

Motorists trying to leave snowbound Lake Shore Drive at Foster Avenue in January 1967 got no ...

@just bee     I had a WHITE car that was parked on the street.   A neighbor helped me find it....by poking broomsticks into the snow drifts..... 

YUP....I remember it like it was yesterday!    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi 

@just bee     I had a WHITE car that was parked on the street.   A neighbor helped me find it....by poking broomsticks into the snow drifts..... 

YUP....I remember it like it was yesterday!    di

@Desertdi 

Here's another blast from the past:

1967 big snow storm-"The Jewels" | Chicago pictures, My kind of town, Chicago history

I remember the empty store shelves.

Hmm.  Kinda like today! Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've lived in Chicago my whole life. 40° = shorts (last week saw a handful). 50° = convertibles down. 

Gym shoes, never sneakers or tennis shoes.

Love the tornado sign - so true 

I think I remember the Ranch Rankings from the Chicago Tribune 

588-2300

Honored Contributor

@just bee     I shopped at Jewel, and sometimes Dominick's.   I remember when the meat counters closed at 6....and had to make a mad dash to get there after work...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

You haven't lived until you've been in South Florida in 60 degree weather and hear a PA announcement that the cafeteria is now serving hot chocolate. 

Esteemed Contributor

As a lifelong Midwesterner, this is pretty funny! Thanks for posting, Oznell. I grew up in Iowa, Minnesota and now Missouri and we sure do have specific characteristics in the Midwest! One thing though....while most Midwesterners love visiting Chicago, most of us don't consider it to be Midwestern. The rest of Illinois, however, is Midwestern! It's funny how the majority of us complain about the cold and snow, however, most of us wouldn't ever consider leaving our beautiful Midwestern states!

Honored Contributor

Funny and accurate. There is a whole different lexicon for people in Upper Michigan. Noticed it when I crossed the border from Wisconsin to Michigan.