Honored Contributor

There's a funny twitter account called  "Midwest vs. Everybody".    For people from that region, or for those who love them, it's an affectionate, gentle spoof of the region, its inhabitants, weather, culture, etc.

My husband is a Chicago boy, who might have a certain number of these characteristics (?),  so I got a kick out of this.  The amusing thing for me, is that about 70% of the stereotypes about Midwesterners, are also the same stereotypes and preconceptions you encounter about Canadians, with which I am also well familiar.

I took some screenshots of some of the tweets, so apologize for the small, squinchy size of the print.   You have to read the captions to get the joke, usually at the top of the images---

1)

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 09-17-38 Midwest vs Everybody ( midwestern_ope) Twitter.png

2)

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 09-15-09 Midwest vs Everybody ( midwestern_ope) Twitter.png

3)

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 5.42.12 PM.png

4)  Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 09-26-29 Midwest vs Everybody ( midwestern_ope) Twitter.png

5)

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 09-16-36 Midwest vs Everybody ( midwestern_ope) Twitter.png

6)

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 09-40-06 Midwest vs Everybody on Twitter.png

7)

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 18-34-15 Midwest vs Everybody on Twitter.png

8)

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 09-18-13 Midwest vs Everybody on Twitter.png

9)

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 09-34-16 Midwest vs Everybody ( midwestern_ope) Twitter.png

10)

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 09-37-30 Midwest vs Everybody ( midwestern_ope) Twitter.png

11)

FhFbPBKWAAElWnE.jpg

12)

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 18-44-15 Midwest vs Everybody ( midwestern_ope) Twitter.png

The themes of stoicism, (especially in the face of horrendous weather),  niceness (not wanting to inconvenience others), understatement and restraint, a friendly, small town feeling--   those are very recognizable characteristics I see in Illinois relatives...  

I have a question--  I've heard people use "welp",  as a kind of variant on "well"  --  a kind of summing up--  but didn't realize it was a Midwesternism.  Would like to hear from Midwestern posters about that.

And "ope",  which is a variation on "oops" and kind of an apology-type expression....  Any Midwesterners here use that term?

I love this one--   "Yeah, no, for sure".

Anyway, a fun and amusing account to google.

Honored Contributor

Re: MIDWESTERN FUN AND GAMES

We actually have that driveway.  It's even more fun when covered with ice and snow.  I've always wondered about "welp".

Honored Contributor

I grew up in Chicago.    It's true about the weather...after all, it's a lot better than North Dakota...    However, the Blizzard of '67 was a deal-breaker...I moved to Los Angeles(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

They give a better, more intricate definition of "welp" than I did at the site, @deepwaterdotter   .     Apparently it's often used as a way of wrapping up a personal interaction, indicating "leave taking" of some kind, but it's more multi-purpose than that, I think.

I'd love to hear more about "ope",  but no one has enlightened us...

@Desertdi--   And thus was born,  "DESERT"di !    Love the desert too.

Honored Contributor

The midwest isn't all bad or hick-like. But I get the jokes since I'm in the midwest. 

Sadly, a lot of the midwest is going backwards to 1950. I'd love to move but I care for my 91 yr old dad.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I hope the site didn't come across as portraying the Midwest as a land of "rubes",  @CalminHeart --   I should have posted a larger variety of the tweets, but I ran out of steam!

I'd characterize "Midwest vs. Everybody" as a very affectionate, respectful ribbing, which to me ends up being a real tribute.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in the Midwest and this is so funny!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell     I would also like an explanation of the "ope".  I am not familiar with that.  Maybe  it was misspelled?? 

We Chicagoans (the description never leaves us) use a lot of "NOPE"....and that means a really decisive N-O.     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

I'm from the Midwest and growing up we called the living room the front room, but pronounced it "frunch room."

To this day, I never call shoes sneakers but gym shoes, lol. 

Esteemed Contributor

They also have a Facebook page.  I have a good friend that shares these every once in a while.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown