Respected Contributor

A Very Special "First" For This Year's Super Bowl

[ Edited ]

For the first time in Super Bowl history, an all-female team of U.S. Navy aviators will conduct the pregame flyover, commemorating 50 years of women pilots in the military branch.

The historic team will fly the four-aircraft formation over State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., at the conclusion of the national anthem, according to the Navy,

seven female aviators will operate the fighter aircraft, with a majority female crew working on and maintaining the planes.

“It’s not a feeling I can even put into words,” Lt. Katie Martinez, a flight officer assigned to one of the squadrons working on an aircraft in the flyover, said in a statement. “It doesn’t get bigger than the Super Bowl, and I am humbled and honored to be able to participate with my friends and fellow naval aviators as part of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

The formation will include two F/A-18F Super Hornet fighter jets, one F-35C Lightning II stealth combat aircraft and one EA-18G Growler electronic attack jet, which will depart from nearby Luke Air Force Base, officials said.

Palmdale native and USC graduate Lt. Lyndsay Evans will be one of those in the historic flyover as electronic warfare officer in the two-person Growler.

Evans joined the Navy eight years ago.

“I joined the Navy to serve my country,” the Southern California native said. “Serving in the Navy means being part of something bigger than yourself.”

Eight women became the first female candidates to enter U.S. Navy flight school in 1973  and a year later six graduated to earn their wings. They become known as “The First Six.”

Here are the women who will make air history Sunday.

Flying the two F/A-18F Super Hornets:

• Lt. Arielle Ash, pilot, of Abilene, Texas
  • Lt. Saree Moreno, weapon systems officer, of Tampa, Fla.
  • Lt. Naomi Ngalle, weapon systems officer, of Springfield, Va.
  • Lt. Caitie Perkowski, pilot, of Albuquerque

Flying the EA 18G Growler:

• Lt. Margaret Dente, pilot, of North Salem, N.Y.
  • Lt. Lyndsay Evans, electronic warfare officer, of Palmdale

Flying the F-35C Lightning II:

• Lt. Suzelle Thomas, pilot, of Birmingham, Ala.

Grace Toohey, LA Times

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

Re: A Very Special "First" For This Year's Super Bowl

[ Edited ]

What an honor for these ladies! I know they will perform beautifully.

Honored Contributor

Thumbs Up Emoticon - Beautiful Emoji Queen Duvet, transparent png download

Esteemed Contributor

Yup. It's the only part of the Super Bowl that us commoners in Arizona who live on the west side will probably get to see. They've been practicing all week. 

Honored Contributor

Just saw it, bravo to the women who made history today.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@Mersha   I am so glad you posted this.  I never watch or even think about the Super Bowl so if not for your post, I would have missed this proud historic moment. Women pilots for the first time.   Yah.  If I had been born earlier, I would have been a sufferagette for sure.

I also watched the songs and the singing of the National Anthem and that made me proud and happy for the reactions of the players and mention of the hard work during their life it took for them to get to this moment.  Then the naming of the Honorary Captains.  A very good emotional viewing for me.

I may even watch some of the game altho being football I will be at a loss as to what is going on.  I'm not a football fan altho my brother was our high school quarterback, I went to the games but it was to socialize, not to watch the game.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting this info! 

CONGRATS *OUR OWN*  FIGHTER JET FLYERS!!

I've waiting for "Rhianna".

Anyone know who sang the "Star Spangled Banner" opener?

(I cant forget, dont want to forget,  how awesome the late Whitney Houston sang this!)

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

(I cant forget, dont want to forget,  how awesome the late Whitney Houston sang this!)

Chris Stapleton sang tonight, he did a Fabulous job!!!!!!!!!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

Chris Stapleton sang tonight, he did a Fabulous job!!!!!!!!!

~~~~

@JaneMarple

Thanks!  Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

Watching that fly over gave me goose bumps, it was awesome, what an honor for these women fighter jet flyers!