Honored Contributor

Re: Loss of Life in the Bahamas

I'm against any effort to shame others for their complaints and guilt them into silence. I may not care about their issue nor they about mine; it may seem trivial, but it's not trivial to the one complaining.

Honored Contributor

I feel so sad about all the people in the Bahamas, that beautiful island 

known for its beauty. 

Like everywhere you go it has very poor and very rich populations.

I was wondering if people who had no transportation or are disabled

were given ways to evacuate. I haven't heard anything about that

for the Bahamas, only Florida.

When we hear about the helpless families losing their children, loved ones, I think about what they are going through.

I don't think it is always a matter of putting things in perspective. 

These shootings and tragedies are so horrific and hearbreaking and impossible to understand or take in all the sorrow, that to think of it all day and all night,would be doubly unbearable.

I know I am human and try not to think about it all day so much or I would just be a puddle of sadness and I know that doesn't help me or the families or those who have died.

Once a friend told me when I told her I just got so sad when watching the news,that if I was a total mess, what kind of help would that be? I try to remember that because when I hear or read of all the tragic things I feel like I know them and am feeling their pain and can't stop thinking about it. 

I know we probably have all had great losses in our lives by now and some people try to keep busy, even try to laugh with each other, and for others they grieve in a different way.

I'm just saying, I don't judge or condemn any of us by what we need to focus on or talk about.

We are human and just because we talk about plants or decorating or even complain about the lesser mundane things in our lives, it's ok. I am sure everyone talking about anything here today has also been quite sad about everything going on. How could we not be?

When I call my mother or other loved ones we do not always talk about these awful things all the time.

With the shootings and the hurricane, I have to try to make myself think of other things. Somethings you just have to cry, a lot! Then I think, I can strongly pray. And sometimes our prayers or hopes are answered and sometimes not and that is hard too. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3  I know what you intended, I wish I could feel grateful most all the time, every day.  I want for nothing, I am fortunate I know.  But I feel grieved most all the time, every day.  Every day I turn on the news to learn what new kind of hell has been thought up for implementation before anyone can intervene to stop it, or the suffering that I cannot do a darn thing about until the day comes that I can.  So thanks for trying.  This child is a lovely little lad.  Was.  So many of them at the mercy of this storm.  I hope he had a wonderful life up until yesterday.  Today I think of all the children headed to school soon . . . alive, happy, years of life ahead of them.  Can we feel grateful now for their safety?  Or just for ourselves?   Just asking.  I really want to know.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3   you don't have to explain yourself or your personal tragedies. You owe no one that

(((((((Cakers))))) Most of us know what an exemplary person you are

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Cakers3   you don't have to explain yourself or your personal tragedies. You owe no one that

@cherry There are times I need to step away from here in order to make sense of what some think is an appropriate response to a well meaning thread. @Cakers3  needing to explain herself? My heart goes out to her and sometimes words fail me. I am just so very sorry.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is sickening how some people are willing to twist the most innocent words into something else @Trinity11 

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@cherry There are times I need to step away from here in order to make sense of what some think is an appropriate response to a well meaning thread. @Cakers3  needing to explain herself? My heart goes out to her and sometimes words fail me. I am just so very sorry.

@Cakers3 Anyone with a scintilla of conscience and compassion understands exactly the message you were sending across. The rest are not worth the energy it takes to type a response. 

On a more postive note, I would hope all would send their prayers and support to Chef Jose Andres, his chefs and support workers of WCKitchens who flew into the storm on Saturday to prepare for the aftermath of the storm to feed the victims of the storm. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I wasn't asking for self-explaining by any stretch.  I do detest unnecessary drama for attack purproses and will take a high road that "twisting" is simply a lack of understanding.  I was expressing my own concerns.  Carry on.

Honored Contributor

I take issue with those who use a disaster to lecture others.

Some even choose to make disasters and the loss of life about themselves and their feelings, how upsetting it is to them.

Respected Contributor

Usually the death of children evokes strong emotions in females and males but mothers especially.  In these situations, compassion is a first response in most people.  People will express how they feel about it totally from their own experiences.  It's called being human.  Not a good time to give a hard time.