Honored Contributor

Little thing but it will add up

[ Edited ]

I rarely go to Walmarts.  In fact I can count on my fingers of one hand the total times I go there.  I had to yesterday.  My husband had to pick up a prescription via drive through. I need Distilled water.  I darted in just to get one gallon size.  It cost $1.19.  Today through instacart at Wegmans, I ordered 4 more gallons.  They cost .79 cent each.  I thought you save more at Walmart. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Little thing but it will add up

at my walmarts it's 98 cents. I buy 10 gallons at a time.

have to sell some of that gold LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

at my walmarts it's 98 cents. I buy 10 gallons at a time.

have to sell some of that gold LOL

This is Distilled water.  Not a lot of people drink that.  I think it's vile tasting.  My husband drinks it. (and the cat!)  That's why I buy it.   I think that high price at my Walmart was from inflation.  Anyway I'll stick to getting it from Wegmans

Honored Contributor

I buy to put in humidifiers. dry as toast in Tx.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Yeah.  We use it for that too.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@SharkE   I use it in my iron to prevent buildup, but it'd take forever to use a gallon. I don't like ironing and check lables before purchasing clothing and end up with mostly knits.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whole Foods distilled water is only .89 cents (may be up to .99 today).  Same with bottled water-which was .79/gal. before COVID.  It is up to $1.09/gal.  We keep some regular water on hand for emergencies.

Our local chain sells distilled water  for $1.59/gal.

We also use distilled water for humidifiers and for watering the indoor plants since our water is so hard.

This is why I wonder why people think WF is so expensive.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

It's $1.12 gallon at Walmart here. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Overall, we do save a lot at Walmart compared to Wegman's. 

Don't know the price in the stores since I haven't been there recently, but these are the online prices for home delivery to me in the northeast. 

Wegman's would be delivered by Instacart. Walmart delivers directly from the store using independent drivers.  

Wegman's gallon               Walmart

Spring -    $1.19                  $1.12

Purified -  $1.29                  $1.12

Distilled - $1.29                 $1.12

It sounds to me Wegman's might want to get rid of it.  How many buy that much distilled water?  One gallon lasts a long time for me to use for ironing.

Walmart recently increased prices as all of the grocery stores have done in my area.  I suspect Walmart's are lower in the store than the Wegman's store nearest me.  

Honored Contributor

I buy it because the husband has one of those cpap machines (or something like that) that uses it, plus the bird drinks it.

A price around $1.18 is pretty much normal.  .79 is beyond a killer price!  I've never seen it that cheap.  Even at a little over a dollar, it's well worth it.  His gallon for his machine lasts him about a month and the gallon I keep in the refrigerator for the bird lasts a fair amount of time, too (never calculated it).