Honored Contributor

Re: Little thing but it will add up

@Sooner wrote:

It's $1.12 gallon at Walmart here. 

Here too. 

Honored Contributor

I guess I'm saving a bundle.......I drink tap water (and don't iron)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Overall, we do save a lot at Walmart compared to Wegman's. 

Don't know the price in the stores since I haven't been there recently, but these are the online prices for home delivery to me in the northeast. 

Wegman's would be delivered by Instacart. Walmart delivers directly from the store using independent drivers.  

Wegman's gallon               Walmart

Spring -    $1.19                  $1.12

Purified -  $1.29                  $1.12

Distilled - $1.29                 $1.12

It sounds to me Wegman's might want to get rid of it.  How many buy that much distilled water?  One gallon lasts a long time for me to use for ironing.

Walmart recently increased prices as all of the grocery stores have done in my area.  I suspect Walmart's are lower in the store than the Wegman's store nearest me.  

@Foxxee  I suspect Wegmans' in-store prices would be similar to Walmart's, because Instacart adds, on average, 15% to Wegmans' prices.  Walmart's delivery prices are the same as in-store prices.

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I rarely go to Walmarts.  In fact I can count on my fingers of one hand the total times I go there.  I had to yesterday.  My husband had to pick up a prescription via drive through. I need Distilled water.  I darted in just to get one gallon size.  It cost $1.19.  Today through instacart at Wegmans, I ordered 4 more gallons.  They cost .79 cent each.  I thought you save more at Walmart. 

@songbird  was it the same Brand at Wegman's?

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Don't know the price in the stores since I haven't been there recently, but these are the online prices for home delivery to me in the northeast. 

Wegman's would be delivered by Instacart. Walmart delivers directly from the store using independent drivers.  

It sounds to me Wegman's might want to get rid of it.  How many buy that much distilled water?  One gallon lasts a long time for me to use for ironing.

Walmart recently increased prices as all of the grocery stores have done in my area.  I suspect Walmart's are lower in the store than the Wegman's store nearest me.  

@Foxxee  I suspect Wegmans' in-store prices would be similar to Walmart's, because Instacart adds, on average, 15% to Wegmans' prices.  Walmart's delivery prices are the same as in-store prices.

@ValuSkr 

Actually, Walmart's online home delivery prices are higher than in-store.  Pickup is the same price as in-store.  

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird 

Even though it was decades ago, the mathematical principle is still the same. I worked in the Supply&Shipping department of a large local department store.

When we ordered large quantities of say, gift boxes, they came in a truckload. My company paid X for that number of boxes. Maybe 2 months later we placed the same order with the same Wholesaler, but my company paid Z for that same number.

Their price per box went up $.03 per box My department store did not absorb that cost, it was past on to the consumer that wanted that gift box. Pretty simple math then and now. My company was set up to turn a profit, not a 501c3 non profit.

Most retailers of any product follow the same cost/profit analysis, including Walmart. Throw in the cost now of moving products from country to country or state to state?  

That I learned when I quit high school and learned by OJT(on job training). Has paid off for me all of my very long life. Living life taught me more than I would have allowed myself to learn in a classroom(aka)(I hated school), that's why I quit high school twice.

hckynut 🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

It must have been on sale.  Over all Wegmans is probably the most expensive store.  I wasn't aware of the sale price, I had to get distilled water.  It probably won't be that low next week.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Walmart recently increased prices as all of the grocery stores have done in my area.  I suspect Walmart's are lower in the store than the Wegman's store nearest me.  People use distilled water for a lot of things.  I use it as dehumidifier, drinking water (husband & cat) & various things. We go through it a lot.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

I rarely go to Walmarts.  In fact I can count on my fingers of one hand the total times I go there.  I had to yesterday.  My husband had to pick up a prescription via drive through. I need Distilled water.  I darted in just to get one gallon size.  It cost $1.19.  Today through instacart at Wegmans, I ordered 4 more gallons.  They cost .79 cent each.  I thought you save more at Walmart. 

@songbird  was it the same Brand at Wegman's?

Wegmans had their name on it.  I can't remember what that one bottle from Walmart was.  It had Distilled on it, so I grabbed it.  I gave it to my husband in the car.  Have no idea what the name was. 

Honored Contributor

I use demineralization cartridges to treat my tap water so I can use it in my humidifiers. Otherwise I get the infamous white dust on everything....uhg!

Tiny but mighty!

ANYHOW Demineralization Ultrasonic Humidifier Replacement Cartridges,Compatible with HoMedics ...