Trusted Contributor

Re: 'Little People Big World'

@VCamp2748 wrote:

I take exception to so much criticism aimed at Amy for the times when the house appeared messy.  Probably because I grew up in a home where both parents worked full-time & father was overly critical yet never lifted a finger to help keep the house tidy.  Yes, I realize Matt has some physical issues that may preclude his ability to do housework.  However, I do blame both Matt & Amy for not making those lazy kids clean up after themselves.  Another poster suggested that Amy deliberately ignored the mess just to annoy Matt.  Maybe so, maybe not.  In any case, in a family, everyone should do their part to keep the house in order.

They could afford a house keeper......

Respected Contributor

June2:  Yes, I know that.  Nevertheless, children should be taught that the have a responsibility to do their part around the house.  I've noticed that not much is now seen on the inside of the house, so can't tell if it's still cluttered.  That room Amy fixed up a couple of episodes back turned out nice, though it was certainly a mess to begin with.

Valued Contributor

@June2 wrote:

@VCamp2748 wrote:

I take exception to so much criticism aimed at Amy for the times when the house appeared messy.  Probably because I grew up in a home where both parents worked full-time & father was overly critical yet never lifted a finger to help keep the house tidy.  Yes, I realize Matt has some physical issues that may preclude his ability to do housework.  However, I do blame both Matt & Amy for not making those lazy kids clean up after themselves.  Another poster suggested that Amy deliberately ignored the mess just to annoy Matt.  Maybe so, maybe not.  In any case, in a family, everyone should do their part to keep the house in order.

They could afford a house keeper......

That's not necessarily true. A family can't always afford a housekeeper when there are "Pirates of the Pacific" theme attractions to build in the backyard.

Those shiver'me'timber planks don't buy themselves you know.

Smiley LOL

Why, I know of a lot of families who go without daily maid service when daddy needs his own gigantic earth mover in order to plant some pumpkin seeds.

earthm.jpg

(Ironically enough, no, those would not be little people...although we might have hit upon what drives Matt's Freudian use of such equipment).

While I could never have lived in their mess, I do understand it to some extent. While surely a lack of simple chores discipline was missing, a lot of really busy people (overly busy perhaps) can make for sloppy housekeepers.

I tend to need a very clean, organized space or else I feel too chaotic in everything I do or that goes on in the house. I don't need to lose my sunglasses 30 times a day just because people keep throwing dirty clothes on top of them.

But I guess some people become accustomed to the mess. Maybe they feel nested as they're swallowed up by all their things? They come up for air on occasion but otherwise they garner some form of security living in a landfill.

And in today's day & age, I would hardly blame AMY or the mother for all of that. I mean, if people want to run about digging holes or learning photography or going out for track...they can certainly be held responsible for cleaning their own room.

The days of Mommy being the housekeeper are over in general. And certainly when everyone in the house wants the responsibility of driving cars (and earth movers), playing in swimming holes, going off on trips and everything else but an afternoon of cleaning up their own space.

If they can't handle or manage the space, don't give them the space.

See how messy they can get at a friend's house or even in a homeless shelter. They'd learn right'quick to make their own bed if they couldn't blame mommy anymore.

Gosh, I would make for a GREAT stepmother at my local playhouse's next production of "Cinderella".Smiley LOL

"Clean this dang room NOW, Cinderella...'else no pumpkin tossing for YOU come the Prince's Annual Harvest Catapult-Pumpkin'Toss & Ball!!!"

Valued Contributor

Lazy??? She is the only one going to a 4 yr. college, on a scholarship, with a double major in accounting and Spanish. One twin went to a 2 yr. college in Santa Barbara for photography, the other twin has not gone to school since high school and the youngest boy quit regular high school and  just got his GED...and moved out with no plan. I think she is the most ambitious of them all.

Regular Contributor

@surfk wrote:

I always found the show to be a little sad (no pun intended).

I think that in the beginning it attempted to show how normal a life little people live in this regular-sized world.

But one could always feel the resentment steaming off of Matt Roloff. It seemed he greatly resented his physical condition despite trying hard to turn it into a positive.

His wife, Amy Roloff, seemed to not only be more down to earth but also more at peace with her physical self. She seemed to be the better mentally and emotionally adjusted of the two.

And maybe it was due to the differences in what caused each of them their physical conditions. Matt seemed to always act as though he would have been normal had he not been so cursed with Diatrophic dysplasia which often carries with a lot of physical deformity and suffering (as compared the condition which caused his wife and son's dwarfism). He always seemed to resent Amy on that level as much as any other. Which I think would make any marriage difficult.

And Matt came from a fairly well-off family. But all of his siblings were afflicted with physical problems. I can't help but think that some of that early dynamic had to have included a lot of guilt feelings on the part of his parents (and often that leads to spoiling one's kids).

While perhaps completely understandable, Matt seemed terribly spoiled. He obviously struggles/d to find his place in this world. And some of the circuses might have been a distraction or attempt to create something "external" rather than truly coming to peace within oneself. Its a common thing - to remain continually busy with ridiculous projects as a way to avoid difficult issues.

I think that the show just got sad. - even when they attempted to put a happy face on it. There were times showing Matt using his earthmover which were nearly epic symbolically of a man trying to move "heaven and earth" as to make an impact on this world.

Their unkempt house to me was just a metaphor for the whole show (and maybe their lives): they put on a good show but they were a mess inside.

I think Amy came from a well off family too.:-)

Regular Contributor

Jeremy and Audrey have regular updates on Facebook and they just moved from what I can tell, I think they've done well with their professions, I think Zach's wife's a teacher and I thought Zach finally got a associate degree with the community college  but maybe he works for the family business?  The farm is big and is a working farm.  I think even with the free spirit lifestyles the children seem like they've grown up to be responsible adults except Jacob seems like he's drifting right now, he said on the last episode he'd be interested in returning to the farm.  Thanks for posting!:-)

Trusted Contributor

They make between $50,000- $60,000 an episode....plus  all the extras...pool, house renovation etc.    They can afford a housekeeper.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Retiredpsych wrote:

Lazy??? She is the only one going to a 4 yr. college, on a scholarship, with a double major in accounting and Spanish. One twin went to a 2 yr. college in Santa Barbara for photography, the other twin has not gone to school since high school and the youngest boy quit regular high school and  just got his GED...and moved out with no plan. I think she is the most ambitious of them all.

Ahhh, yes, when she was living at home.  I recall an episode when she got  zitchy with Amy when Amy told her to go put her dry-cleaned jacket in her closet & not just leave it hanging from a kitchen cabinet.  I also recall numerous episodes of seeing every one of those kids look right at a mess on the floor & either walk right on it or around it instead of picking it up & putting the things away.

Regular Contributor

Jeremy Roloff : Photography | Facebook

"LA, you've been good to us. Thank you to all the amazing people we've met and become great friends with. Now onto the next adventure...full video will be up on the blog soon! Any clue where we moved to?! And so the ‪#‎journeyofjerandauj‬ continues. ‪#‎lifeorbust‬"

https://www.facebook.com/JeremyJamesRoloff

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PatsyCline wrote:

Jeremy Roloff : Photography | Facebook

"LA, you've been good to us. Thank you to all the amazing people we've met and become great friends with. Now onto the next adventure...full video will be up on the blog soon! Any clue where we moved to?! And so the ‪#‎journeyofjerandauj‬ continues. ‪#‎lifeorbust‬"

https://www.facebook.com/JeremyJamesRoloff

What do you think that means? We're maybe gunna have a "Little People - Big VEGAS" edition of the series next?

"Can the Roloffs toss a pumpkin all the way from the Bellagio to the Paris Hotel without hitting an Elvis on the Strip?? Stay tuned this Fall to find out!"

Or will it be a Matt Roloff in L.A. Show (the swinger edition) "Little People- So Little Time"???

Jeremy seemed okay enough. Maybe he got bitten by the show biz bug.