Frequent Contributor

Does anyone dislike the word " literally " as much as I do ? All the talk show hosts and guests use it constantly and it drives me nuts, mostly because it's used out of context. When did this become a thing ? 

I amended my comment from hate to dislike, I realize " hate " was just too strong a word.

Respected Contributor

no issue for me

literally.jpg

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

The word I hate is "iconic".  Everything is "iconic."    Followed by "obsessed"  I'm "obsessed with -----

Esteemed Contributor

Literally is a word that is NOT needed.  "I literally ate the whole thing."  Take out the word literally and it says the same thing..."I ate the whole thing." 

"I literally slept 12 hours."  "I literally got paid to do that."  "I literally told her off."  All these statements do not need the word literally.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@Grnthumb 

There's only one host that I hear use the word "literally"...and yes its a bad habit and the word isnt needed....

But the one I hear all the time in popular culture currently is BASICALLY!!!  It drives me and Judge Judy nuts...LOL 😄

l

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Grnthumb    We've had many discussions here about the host's improper use of the word literally.  I wouldn't say they use it out of context, but rather improperly.  Such discussions never solve anything.  The misuse of the word continues.

Don't hate the word.  It's a fine word if used properly.  Unfortunately, it usual!y isn't.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Grnthumb wrote:

Does anyone hate the word " literally " as much as I do ? All the talk show hosts and guests use it constantly and it drives me nuts, mostly because it's used out of context. When did this become a thing ? 

@Grnthumb   I agree...... Over used and at times used inappropriately.  Not just here but I notice it on other shows on TV, especially on my local news.  Another thing I hear way too often is "as well."  I guess they use it to sub for "also" and "too."  Usually it's not even needed.  And it is certainly not needed in every other sentence.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

I hardly ever watch and when I do I mute,so don't hear much literally. But the one I hate is "like".

Frequent Contributor

LOL - I agree. Same with "actually"

Honored Contributor

Rather than using it correctly, the hosts use it for emphasis.  Since everything they say during their presentations is one gigantic exclamation point, "literally" gets said a lot.