Honored Contributor

Re: Limits On Returning Merchandise

Return limits and "return tracking" began quite a few years ago.  I just went hunting for the article ... from 2013 - USA Today.  

Retailers tracking what customers return

Each year, consumers return about $264 billion worth of merchandise, or almost 9% of total sales, according to industry estimates.

Many buyers aren't aware that some returns, with and without receipts, are being monitored at stores that outsource that information to a third-party company, which creates a "return profile" that catalogs and analyzes the customer's returns at the store.

Trusted Contributor

I definitely agree with most of you, there are ignorant ppl on this earth and they will stretch the rules as far as possible, I wonder where their self-respect is.

I don't send things back often but I'm going to be more careful, not buying "sketchy" clothing, sketchy meaning those I'm unsure of as to size, colors and quality. I have a "Belle" top wrapped and ready to go back, it's so boxy. Sometimes Kim's things fit, other times, they are too boxy. Usually, I donate things that don't fit but several cropped up at once.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good.  Serial returners cost us all money.

And ever get behind a serial returner at a register in a clothing store?  Smiley Surprised 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Target has had these types of policy for years. My daughter was put on their “ black list” because she bought several sizes of shoes for the trips and brought back the ones that didn’t fit. Bringing three toddlers in to try on shoes is not worth the time and energy, so this was a smart way to shop for her situation. Target was not amused. They have several return/exchange policies I don’t like so I shop there only occasionally.

Honored Contributor

I think the return policies for online and for shopping in person should be completely different. Online retailers must allow more returns or they will go out of business. I have seen women buy 8 dresses to try on at home...and return the seven that don’t fit the next day. When I was in college I worked for a fabric store....we actually had people try and return yards of fabric after they had cut it for a dress and say they changed their mind and didn’t like the color!
Honored Contributor

Home Depot also has people abuse their return policy...it isn’t just clothing stores. Our neighbor works their part time and I have been amazed what he says people attempt to return for a refund...half-empty paint cans, power tools they used for a weekend and bring back, not even cleaned....burned out light bulbs with the receipt for the new ones they had previously purchased attached, etc.
Honored Contributor

Yes online retailers should have a more lenient policy for returns and it should be specifically spelled out on the checkout page with a box to check before your order is submitted.
Honored Contributor

I am surprised any place takes expensive jewelry back. So unfair to the salespeople on commission.
Honored Contributor

I don’t even like returning spoiled food to a supermarket. King Kullen makes you sign and give your address when returning something, Foodtown also makes you sign. A lot of times I won’t bother to return something.

Honored Contributor

We now scan driver's licenses for customers returning merchandise without a receipt, I can't tell you how much that is sending a message to the 'frequent fliers', lol.