Honored Contributor

Limits On Returning Merchandise

I was watching The Talk yesterday when they were discussing retailers are putting limits on how many returns you can make. I think this is a mistake, it may have some customers purchasing less. Yes some people may abuse store policies by returning everything, but if I buy clothing online and I don’t like the fit, color, or it just wasn’t what I thought it would be, I want the option of returning it, no questions asked. I don’t want to be stuck with something I don’t love. Also, I don’t want to get blackballed from a store because they feel I made too many returns.

Super Contributor

Re: Limits On Returning Merchandise

@Jordan2 wrote:

I was watching The Talk yesterday when they were discussing retailers are putting limits on how many returns you can make. I think this is a mistake, it may have some customers purchasing less. Yes some people may abuse store policies by returning everything, but if I buy clothing online and I don’t like the fit, color, or it just wasn’t what I thought it would be, I want the option of returning it, no questions asked. I don’t want to be stuck with something I don’t love. Also, I don’t want to get blackballed from a store because they feel I made too many returns.

I work at a Women's clothing store (major retailer).  I have for 5 years.  There have been only 3 customers that have been told they can not make returns anymore and they were returning everything they purchased both on line and in the store.  However, they were abusing the policies, wearing the clothes with tags on and returning, along with many other shady things that I don't want to give people ideas for.  Believe me, it happens and retailers lose a lot of money for people who do these types of things.  I don't blame the stores.  You wouldn't believe what people try to do.  I feel 60 days is a generous return policy and people even complain about it.  There has to be a limit at some point.  I get returning things that don't fit.  However, some clothes must fit at some point.  Wearing items all the time and then returning them is ridiculous!

Esteemed Contributor

It's probably for excessive returns - it's been known by stores that women will buy (fancy dress) - go to a party - and return the dress.  If a customer did this more than twice - then I'm with the store.

Esteemed Contributor

Would think if you are making a lot of returns to the same place over and over that is not someplace you would want to continue to shop.  They are obviously not meeting your needs.  It is one of those things, limit those who abuse the policy or ruin it for everybody and eliminate the policy. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@fthuntI'm not as tolerant as you are  -  Once is enough - at least for brick and mortar shoppers.

Respected Contributor

I totally agree retailers should deal with those who abuse the policy. I also think that blocking those that abuse may backfire on some companies because some shoppers will not research the why of the limit and assume the policy is targeting/limiting them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

I totally agree retailers should deal with those who abuse the policy. I also think that blocking those that abuse may backfire on some companies because some shoppers will not research the why of the limit and assume the policy is targeting/limiting them.

Honestly, if a company gets to a point that they feel the need address it with a customer or even prohibit returns, they are not making money on that customer. No business wants to alienate a customer, however they cannot continue with them if they are loosing money.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I think a lot of people are abusing the return policies at stores.

If clothes consistently do not fit you, it's time to find another store.  Getting price adjustments counts as a return too against you and the store. 

Bottom line - stores have to make money.  If they aren't, they don't want  your business.

Respected Contributor

Without returns on apparel on line or tv shopping is impossible since sizes and bodies are all different.

Trusted Contributor

I worked part time in the fine jewelry department at a major department store in an average middle class suburb.  Being paid a small salary plus commission kept the employees working hard for each sale. One of my colleagues asked for a transfer to a different branch of the store in a very wealthy area so that she could earn.  She transferred back after several months.  Why?  Women would buy expensive jewelry to wear to events, then return the items, which would be reflected in her paycheck.  Returns would be deducted from commissions, and come with a warning about "bad sales".  It took MANY returns for any of those cheaters to be banned from the store.