Esteemed Contributor

old or ancient rock castles/buildings

How did the builders get the rocks to stay together? My husband says they had stone masons who had special tools to fit the rocks together. Well, they must have been good at it, as some of these things are still standing.

I have no clue. What do you all think?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: old or ancient rock castles/buildings

I think this ( https://history.howstuffworks.com/historical-figures/castle5.htm) is a good place to start to find answers then read at least the wiki information about Guédelon Castle (  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gu%C3%A9delon_Castle )

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

This goes back to the pyramids

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The one that amazes me is Chaco Canyon in New Mexico.  It's one of the most important historical sites in the US but most people never heard of it.  It was a city and important trade center about 900AD occupied by the Anasazi Indians.  They were masters at rock work; there are miles of walls and fences like my picture, including many round kiva buildings.  They used no mortar or tools as we know them.  Beautiful rockwork often copied in modern buildings.

Screenshot_20190319-002549.jpg

Screenshot_20190319-004035.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

There’s an interesting show on Amazon Prime callled Project Restoration. They go around England showing restoration projects on really old buildings including castles. It’s fun to watch them thatch roofs and cut stones using ancient techniques.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp , thank you. Who ever would have thought that lime, soil and water could hold those rocks together? So fascinating, thanks for sharing the links!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 , my dh was just saying last week that he wanted to go to Chaco canyon. Those rock walls are beautiful, its amazing to me what all was done with so little. Very smart and industious folks.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jasmine19 , I will have to check that out. Sounds very interesting, I am loving Amazon Prime.

Honored Contributor

My Irish grandfather didn't use mortar and he was the best stone wall builder ever!

Honored Contributor

We visited a lot of castles in Germany, my favorite was Rheinfels Castle in St. Goar on the Rhine River.  It was originally built in 1245 to enforce tax collection on the Rhine (if I am remembering correctly).  It housed up to 4,000 people during a siege.  Most of the castle is in ruins but some has been restored.

Capture.PNG