Respected Contributor
On 2/23/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 2/19/2015 vermint said:
On 2/18/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

I had to get a litter box with the cover (the cat gets into a large hole on top) because the dog kept trying to fish out the little poopies .... it was a GREAT investment ! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I may have to try that!

Here's the one I got {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} .... Clevercat:

http://www.petco.com/product/14467/Clevercat-Top-Entry-Litterbox.aspx#description-tab

Thanks, I will check that out! I'm a little afraid that my cats won't use a covered box, as they've never had one (and we all know they are picky critters!), but it just might be worth a try.

Honored Contributor

Covered boxes are generally not recommended.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
On 2/24/2015 stevieb said:

Not recommended by WHO .... and WHY ??

Honored Contributor
On 2/24/2015 vermint said:
On 2/23/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 2/19/2015 vermint said:
On 2/18/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

I had to get a litter box with the cover (the cat gets into a large hole on top) because the dog kept trying to fish out the little poopies .... it was a GREAT investment ! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I may have to try that!

Here's the one I got {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} .... Clevercat:

http://www.petco.com/product/14467/Clevercat-Top-Entry-Litterbox.aspx#description-tab

Thanks, I will check that out! I'm a little afraid that my cats won't use a covered box, as they've never had one (and we all know they are picky critters!), but it just might be worth a try.

Oh ...... I'm glad you said that ...... they recommend you just change the box and not use the lid for the first few days, so they can get used to the higher walls .... most cats think of it as "more privacy" so they get used to it pretty quickly ..... and then try the lid and see how they react. If they won't use it with the lid, take it off and give it a few more days.

Actually, even if they never acclimate to the lid (which is unlikely) the taller walls will definitely help with the litter kicking problem.

I had a little stool nearby that I placed next to the tall walled box, so Bogey could just jump in, do his business, and leap out onto the stool when he was done. When I put on the lid, he jumped onto the box lid, and then placed his head in the hole and went "down the chute". {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Frankly, I was really surprised how fast he took to it, and definitely likes the privacy! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

We tried the Tidy Cat lightweight litter, $12.48 a box, so it is expensive for us to start with. I is much dustier than the regular kinds, and believe me, I have tried them all. It also tracked much more, so we went back to the regular kind. It is hard for me to lift, but have no choice.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor
On 2/24/2015 stevieb said:

I've heard this, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

We tried the lighter weight cat litters and unfortunately, it adhered to the paws and the underbelly fur of our four long-haired cats. It was stuck to the entire body of our little Persian cat (she must have rolled in it...)

Our cats tried (in vain) to groom themselves and we had to brush it out of their fur.

What wasn't stuck in the brush (and/or stuck in their digestive systems) -- was tracked all over the house.

Wasn't a good choice for our long-haired cats -- much too messy.

If you have short haired cats it may work fine for them.

Honored Contributor
On 2/24/2015 Jeremiah 2911 said:

We tried the lighter weight cat litters and unfortunately, it adhered to the paws and the underbelly fur of our four long-haired cats. It was stuck to the entire body of our little Persian cat (she must have rolled in it...)

Our cats tried (in vain) to groom themselves and we had to brush it out of their fur.

What wasn't stuck in the brush (and/or stuck in their digestive systems) -- was tracked all over the house.

Wasn't a good choice for our long-haired cats -- much too messy.

If you have short haired cats it may work fine for them.

I've read that the clumping litters can be dangerous to little kittens' digestive systems .... and to be careful. For older cats, it's supposed to be fine.

I guess every Cat Parent has to weigh the odds and preferences .... both theirs and their kitty's preferences. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}