Respected Contributor

I think these Life Coaches have counseling degrees and decided to go this direction and specialize.  I went to a workshop at a conference years ago and went to a short session. The woman presenting was a counselor.  I would check into credentials. 

Remember  the TV show "Mom" where she became a self appointed Life Coach? Business cards and all. Lol.

Honored Contributor

Life coaches show you the best roads to take in life, meaning they don't fill the potholes in roads you have already travelled nor will they fix the roads ahead. Their job is to find the best roads worth travelling, the ones without obstacles or dead ends. Life coaches don't experiment, but instead look for things already tried and true.

Respected Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

Going to a life coach is like going to a quack "nutritionist" when you really need a registered dietitian. 

I'm sorry but when I think of a "life coach " my weird little mind immediately goes to Chris and his Matt Foley.....A Scary Story on Halloween!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LyqPdZjQTY

Respected Contributor

What the heck is a Life Coach???  I thought parents were that.  After you're grown, you need to surround yourself with good solid people to influence and encourage you.  That's free advice! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Life Coach?

[ Edited ]

It's not a real profession.  Just find a bossy person; find one  and have that person tell your son how to live his life.  I'd volunteer but I'm already bossing enough people around.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Villagesbabe 

Kim Gravel is a "life coach."  Perhaps she has some openings ..... 

From her online bio ...  (https://www dot kimgravel doc com/about )

In 1991, at the age of 19, Kim became one of the youngest Miss Georgias in the state pageant’s history. She went on to represent her home state in the renowned Miss America pageant and thus was asked to serve as US Goodwill Ambassador to Japan, where she spoke to corporations and the Japanese parliament. Combining her expertise skills of communication and leadership, Kim is also a certified Life Coach.

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

What the heck is a Life Coach???  I thought parents were that.  After you're grown, you need to surround yourself with good solid people to influence and encourage you.  That's free advice! 

Just someone who advertises themselves as such.  It's not a real profession so no qualifications or education is required.  Just the ability to tell people how you think they should live their lives and a bank account to deposit the checks they give you.  Why do you assume that parents can ensure that their children will never ever encounter a bump in the road or get lost or need a little help?  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree ...my class mate that is a life coach makes a boat load of money...crazy that people pay a lot of money to help them with their 'journey'.  

She talked a good game in school, so I  was not terribly surprised when I saw what her profession was....she lives on the east coast in a fancy, fancy neighborhood.

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

I think these Life Coaches have counseling degrees and decided to go this direction and specialize.  I went to a workshop at a conference years ago and went to a short session. The woman presenting was a counselor.  I would check into credentials. 

Remember  the TV show "Mom" where she became a self appointed Life Coach? Business cards and all. Lol.

@Gorgf, that was my first thought when I read this thread! So funny.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's not a real profession.  Just find a bossy person; find one  and have that person tell your son how to live his life.  I'd volunteer but I'm already bossing enough people around.  LOL

Wow, I never would have guessed that! Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!