Frequent Contributor

I'm thinking about recommending a life coach to my adult son who may benefit from one. Has anyone had experience using one or know anyone who has used one, are they worth it, and are there any bewares. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

They have very little training - at least the ones I am aware of.  

Respected Contributor

I'd want to know the education, background, training, experience etc. It seems like there are people who are not well educated & calling themselves life coach or therapist, as in a yoga therapist. Doesn't sound credible to me.

Honored Contributor

If I needed help managing my life, I'd seek a licensed therapist.  They have the education and training.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I have mixed feelings. I had a friend that went to one and spoke highly of her experience.  I contemplated a life coach for my step son; but I thought about what I would want him to achieve/gain from a life coach; he needed a positive mentor. Think about what you'd want your son to get out of the experience, and assess if a life coach is the means to meet the objective. 

Honored Contributor

@Villagesbabe wrote:

I'm thinking about recommending a life coach to my adult son who may benefit from one. Has anyone had experience using one or know anyone who has used one, are they worth it, and are there any bewares. Thanks.

@Villagesbabe   I don't know what is prompting you to think about a life coach for your son and you do not have to disclose your reason. 

I would strongly suggest, however, that if your son is struggling with a particular issue(s), a licensed therapist would be the better route.

While there are certifications for becoming a life coach, those certifications can range from a week-end crash course to more intensive training.  No background education is needed.

A therapist will have the necessary qualifications to do the same thing as a life coach; only with more expertise in counseling and guidance techniques.

I would also think about if your son is open to any suggestion you may make; whether he would benefit will eventually be determined by his commitment and acceptance of assistance.

Keep in mind there is a cost factor, too.

Good luck-my suggestion is a licensed counselor. 

All the best to you and your son.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Anyone can hang out a "Life Coach" shingle; that doesn't mean they have a clue what they're doing.

I would suggest a therapist but not a "Life Coach". I can think of one who left a large church, had some mental problems herself, and then decided she was a "life coach" because her students (she was a teacher) sometimes asked her advice.

Does that qualify her to be a "Life Coach"? I seriously doubt it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Life Coach?

[ Edited ]

I have been to both several life coaches and several traditional therapists over the years and what I would say whatever he does---it has to resonate with him and not just come from you.

One of the life coaches I went to was part of the Tony Robbins process who I got into after watching him on the Q with Lisa Robertson. And that was an intense experience.  In addition to being extremely expensive, what was required was really kind of out there!!  I remember my coach telling me that I needed to scream my affirmations as forcefully as possible.  And all this was done over our phone secessions and on several occasions resulted in knocks on my apt door by my concerned neighbor--checking to see if I was okay!!  2 years and close to 20 thousand dollars later and visits to several Tony Robbins in person events I decided I had enough.

Did it help? Perhaps some---but in the end-- I wasn't totally invested in that process to keep it up-- and I think the coach felt I wasn't serious about wanting what they could "offer me"!

I have also been to medically trained (Mds)-- in various very traditional office settings.  One of the medicial drs was Fruedian and would always ask "What was the main feeling of the dream" and questions like that. Never offering his input!!  I grew frustrated with that process as well after several years ended up stopping.

There were several other life coaches I went to on recommendations from friends who seemed even more unhelpful than the above!!  

For me therapy and going these various coaches may have helped some---but I wouldn't say they were the silver bullet solutions.  And I think the most important thing related to this as well is---just because someone is a life coach or traditional therapist doesn't mean they're good!! 

In the end, I do think we all need to find purpose and a reason to live and that has to come from ourselves--not our parents or friends....what works for someone doesn't always work the same for someone else!!

Trusted Contributor

Going to a life coach is like going to a quack "nutritionist" when you really need a registered dietitian. 

Honored Contributor

I know of a school mate that is a life coach....when I read some of the stuff she speaks of...well lets just say I roll my eyes and shake my head and not in a good way. 

If it were me, I'd see a therapist.