Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SeaMaiden   With out hope we have nothing.

@Mom2Dogs  Hope is good....but Truth is better

Esteemed Contributor

Hard to refute the article. We really don't know. Stay informed, stay safe and hope for the best. The civil rage is most concerning. I'm staying in my lane.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I want to read her book.  I've been very impressed with the interviews I've seen.

Honored Contributor

Her book, published in 1994, is titled "The Coming Plague"

Respected Contributor

Re: Laurie Garrett

[ Edited ]

She knows what she's talking about.  She's one of the few on TV that I'll stop what I'm doing and turn the mute off and listen.

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't mass civil unrest lead to a lack of social distancing, which would result in more Covid infection and death?  Where is the benefit from such actions? 

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Wouldn't mass civil unrest lead to a lack of social distancing, which would result in more Covid infection and death?  Where is the benefit from such actions? 

Someone should take a clipboard out to the next rally and pose that question to the protesters. I'd volunteer but I'm pretty sure I already have plans for that day. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I have read about Garrett and find her creds exceptionally worthy.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Laurie Garrett

[ Edited ]

Laurie Garrett (born 1951) is an American science journalist and author. She was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Explanatory Journalism in 1996 for a series of works published in Newsday, chronicling the Ebola virus outbreak in Zaire.

Laurie Garrett was born in Los Angeles, California, in 1951.[2] She graduated from San Marino High School in 1969.[3] She then graduated with honors from Merrill College at the University of California, Santa Cruz, where she received a B.S. in biology in 1975.[3][4] She attended graduate school in the Department of Bacteriology and Immunology at University of California, Berkeley and did research at Stanford University with Leonard Herzenberg.

During her PhD studies, Garrett started reporting on science news for radio station KPFA. The hobby soon became far more interesting than graduate school and she took a leave of absence to explore journalism. Garrett never completed her PhD. At KPFA Garrett worked in management, in news, and in radio documentary production. A documentary series she co-produced with Adi Gevins won the 1977 Peabody Award in Broadcasting, and other KPFA production efforts by Garrett won the Edwin Howard Armstrong award.

Garrett won a George Polk Award for Foreign Reporting in 1997 for "Crumbled Empire, Shattered Health" in Newsday, "a series of 25 articles on the public health crisis in the former Soviet Union".[5] She won another Polk award in 2000 for her book Betrayal of Trust, "a meticulously researched account of health catastrophes occurring in different places simultaneously and amounting to a disaster of global proportions".[6]

In 2004, Garrett joined the Council on Foreign Relations as the Senior Fellow of the Global Health Program. She has worked on a broad variety of public health issues including SARS, avian flu, tuberculosis, malaria, shipping container clinics, and the intersection of HIV/AIDS and national security. Garrett lives in Brooklyn Heights, New York City.[7]

Source: Wiki

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

A vaccine, and a healthy dose of self awareness, is what we need. 

(the self awareness as a country, and as individuals)

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon