Honored Contributor

What does vinegar do for your laundry?

-Softens fabrics.

-Reduces static by dissolving the crud which get stuck in between fibers. That crud is made up of minerals from your water, lint and detergent. The crud builds up over time, causes static and can also cause dingy-looking laundry.

-Helps preserve colors in fabric by preventing fading caused from alkalinity of water and detergents.

Honored Contributor

I use liquid fabric softener in the wash & wool balls in the dryer.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Pets, birds, babies, etc.  Ozone might be far-fetched, but who knows. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe , I just use plain white vinegar (store brand). I wear mostly darker clothes and have neverhaad a problem.

Honored Contributor

Re: Laundry Question?

[ Edited ]

Dryer sheets

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

wooly balls for me-----well, for my laundry!!!! Woman Very Happy also you can put scented oils on them too--I use lavender and others---I like a little scent on my clothes---leaves just the slightest smell. No problem with scents in my household

Honored Contributor

We used to rinse our hair with apple cider vinegar when we were teens.  For softness and shine.

Left a nice, golden-red hint of color, as I recall.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

For many, many years - I used liquid fabric softener - then switched to the dryer sheets - UNTIL a repairman told me it clogs up the dryer or washing machine -- so I stopped buying these products. Now, I use liquid laundry detergent -- and I add some vinegar - and/or baking soda to the wash. I never have static and I'm saving a lot of money.

Honored Contributor

Unscented liquid detergent, and a bit of Borax keeps my items fresh.

Look up Borax .  com and there are lots of uses for Borax.

Honored Contributor

Very little. 

I hate dryer sheets, never use them. I use liquid, I put just about a teaspoon full in a full load and dilute it with water. I don't use it in all loads. A small bottle will last me a year. 

I use it mostly in the winter because of extreme static cling. I've tried the vinegar thing, and it doesn't work, neither do the balls.