Honored Contributor

Back in the day, I used to use dryer sheets or a Downey ball with a full dose of liquid fabric softener.  It has just been within the last 10 years or so that I gave up the sheets and greatly reduced the amount of unscented liquid I use.

Some of the towels I still own are from my wedding shower and I'll be married 31 years next month. They are as absorbent today as they were when I first got them.   Maybe older towels were made better or maybe it's a myth that towels get less absorbent from fabric softener.      

Honored Contributor

Re: Laundry Question?

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe 

I use about 1/2 cup vinegar for a large load, less for smaller loads. 

Follow the directions for your washer for liquid fabric softener.  Which for me means having to fill the dispenser up to a certain level with water if I'm not using that much vinegar.  Also, my directions state not to lift the lid during the first spin or the softener will be dispensed at the wrong time.

No, my clothes do not smell of vinegar.  And quite honestly, I think they're as soft as when I used the dryer sheets.  My towels are softer because I didn't use the sheets on them.

Respected Contributor

I stopped fabric softener and dryer sheets when I noticed my fleece items/etc were bunching up and feeling gnarlie. Stopped using softener and after a few washings my fleece shirts and blankets returned to soft and fluffy. Now I use the dryer balls from the Beekman and they work great!

Happy Place Set of 4 Wool Dryer Balls with Storage Bag

Honored Contributor

No, no and no.

Most contain dangerous chemicals and put an oily residue on clothing.

Respected Contributor

If I do it's every third or fourth time. It stays with the clothes and you only need a wee little bir .

Valued Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

I haven't used a commercial washer in awhile, so this is what I do at home. 

The fabric softener dispenser is on the top of my top-load, no agitator washer, just like the detergent and bleach dispensers. I fill up vinegar (regular, not the cleaner type vinegar) in the softener dispenser to the fill level marked on the side, or go less, for smaller loads. I don't know how much vinegar I actually use because I don't measure, just pour in. 

Clothes, towels, etc. have never reeked of that vinegar smell. In fact, I use scent-free detergent with it, and I smell nothing. 

Vinegar keeps my washer clean-smelling much, much longer, without having to run those expensive hot water clean cycles.

You know, I was worried when I first thought using vinegar 12 yrs ago because of "that" smell. Took the plunge on a towel load, never looked back. I had to find an alternative to keep clothes softer without using liquid fabric softener and needed to save money. Last year, I panicked because vinegar was hard to find due to the situation with goods. Now, I keep 4 gallons on hand at all times since I use it in more ways.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes.  If I don't use it in the wash, I use the fabric softener dryer sheets.  I read somewhere that you should not use fabric softener on towels that it breaks the fabric down and the towels wear out a lot sooner.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Sometimes.  If I don't use it in the wash, I use the fabric softener dryer sheets.  I read somewhere that you should not use fabric softener on towels that it breaks the fabric down and the towels wear out a lot sooner.

@Katcat1, the real problem is that fabric softener dryer sheets leave a coating that reduces the absorbency of towels.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3    I read long time ago it was fabric softener.  It is probably both.  I do not use either one on my towels.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Years ago, it was said that fabric softeners would break down the fibers, thus making them softer.

Now-a-days, it's been said that they coat the fibers with some sort of chemical.

Whatever it is, I'm tired of the looks I get when presenting plush throws as gifts, I suggest no fabric softeners on Berkshire and other brands of plush blankets.

'The look' is a blank stare. 

Well, 'you can lead a horse to water'.......(and, actually, even a horse will drink).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).