Respected Contributor

I received the e-mail too.  Never had to return anything to L L Bean, but the letter stated they still have a one year return policy and will work with you past that period regarding defects.  Sure seems liberal enough to me.

QVC thinks their 30 day return policy is an incentive for us to buy but you can return most anywhere 30 days and beyond.   On one occasion I found an item in my closet I had never worn, decided I didn't like it and thought maybe it would still be returnable at our local department store and I could get my $50 back. I had the item six months.   To my surprise there was no question, just a normal return process and credit back to my charge card.

Honored Contributor

IT is too bad that some people make a living off of doing things like this, but in reality, the company makes the policy, so they have to expect (and build into their pricing) that this is going to happen on some level. You can't really offer it and not expect that some will abuse it. 

I guess the number of people abusing has just gotten to more than the company wants to fund now. Like most things, a few ruin it for the many.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

It's a shame that it's become necessary to change their policy, but sadly, not surprising.

I love LLBean.  Some of their styles are a bit dated, but their quality is first rate.

I had a backback that I got for a high school graduation gift. After 20 years of use, the zipper broke and my local repair guy said it couldn't be fixed. I contacted LLBean, and they told me to send it in and they'd see what they could do. They couldn't fix it either, and offered me my choice of one of three new options, or $$$ off any other bag. I couldn't have been happier with their response. 

You used it for 20 years!!! Are items supposed to last forever?  Woman Surprised

This is why the policy is changing. They said people are under the impression their items have a lifetime guarantee.

They essentially say that by having an open ended return policy. 

A good, repeating customer returning one 20 year old item isn't what caused the change. It was people who make a practice of finding as much old merchandise as they can, and trying to make a living on returns, which they most likely turn around and sell on ebay or other places.

You can't blame customers who return the occasional item (even if it is decades old) when the company offers the policy. You can blame people who make a career out of it.

Respected Contributor

It is unfortunate, but so be it.  I had to return a rain jacket twice because the water repellant failed.  They replaced it twice.  

The ONLY items I would now buy from LLBean are the "Maine Hunting Shoes".  They're still made in Maine.  I've got 2 pair.  Had one pair resoled by them (for a fee) after 10 years of use.  Wonderful items.  The rest of their stuff is "off-shored", and I simply won't pay their price for putting their name on foreign-made goods.  

Honored Contributor

Sadly its the abuse of a few who ruin things for everyone!  It's that way with everything these days!

I think that is so sad.  I got the e-mail that they sent out to people saying that they had to change their return policy.  I also saw this on t.v., where people are apparently finding old, worn out things which their parents or grandparents left behind and people are getting things from yard sales, etc. and pawning them off as their own things and then getting a return.  Horrible!  

You have something nice and some have to ruin it!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

It's a shame that the stores with the best customer service, e.g. LL Bean, Nordstrom, and Costco, have so many people abusing their return policies. 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Just read of another policy change--not selling guns to anyone under 21.  Very good move.  Makes me want to go order something!

Respected Contributor

I love LL Bean!

It's too bad they have stopped their "free shipping, no minimum order" policy.  They've had that for at least a year, maybe more.  Although, most of the time when I order from them, it's over 50.00 anyway.

I order a lot of from them.  Outerwear, including footwear, and clothes as well.  Their Luna Jacket is awesome!  I order Christmas wreaths from them every year, too.

Everything is well made, comes nicely packed.  And their customer service reps are always very pleasant.

It's too bad that people were abusing their policy, but I'm sure it's to be expected.

They're a great company and I hope they continue for many years to come.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero