Honored Contributor

i posted the letter in the fashion forum. these are almost the same reasons why nordstrom has changed their return policy also.

A Letter to Our Customers

Since 1912, our mission has been to sell high-quality products that inspire and enable people to enjoy the outdoors. Our commitment to customer service has earned us your trust and respect, as has our guarantee, which ensures that we stand behind everything we sell.

Increasingly, a small, but growing number of customers has been interpreting our guarantee well beyond its original intent. Some view it as a lifetime product replacement program, expecting refunds for heavily worn products used over many years. Others seek refunds for products that have been purchased through third parties, such as at yard sales.

Based on these experiences, we have updated our policy. Customers will have one year after purchasing an item to return it, accompanied by proof of purchase. After one year, we will work with our customers to reach a fair solution if a product is defective in any way.

This update adds clarity to our policy and will only affect a small percentage of returns. It will also ensure we can continue to honor one of the best guarantees in retail, with no impact for the vast majority of our customers. To learn more, please view our full return policy at llbean.com.

L.L.Bean has stood for quality, service, trust, and getting people outdoors ever since my great-grandfather founded our company over 100 years ago - and that will never change. Thank you for being a loyal customer and we look forward to continuing to inspire and enable you to Be an Outsider.

Sincerely,

Shawn O. Gorman
Executive Chairman
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

It's a shame that it's become necessary to change their policy, but sadly, not surprising.

I love LLBean.  Some of their styles are a bit dated, but their quality is first rate.

I had a backback that I got for a high school graduation gift. After 20 years of use, the zipper broke and my local repair guy said it couldn't be fixed. I contacted LLBean, and they told me to send it in and they'd see what they could do. They couldn't fix it either, and offered me my choice of one of three new options, or $$$ off any other bag. I couldn't have been happier with their response. 

You used it for 20 years!!! Are items supposed to last forever?  Woman Surprised

I have a number of high quality items that I've had for at least that long and still use. I never asked for a new backpack, I only asked if they could fix it. They're the ones that offered the solution. 

I have an LL Bean backpack that I've used for almost 20 years (probably 17 now).  It's a bit worn, but nowhere near past its prime.  I've put it through all kinds of use, carried all sorts of things, the weights varying.  I need to sew up a corner of an iside pocket, and the reflective tape on the outside is wearing off.  But it's still going strong, still looks respectable.  It's long since paid for itself (maybe $75+ way back when).  I have an LL Bean messenger bag that's almost as old, and is going strong, too. Their quality is fabulous.  If I ever need to contact their customer service, it's good to know they take such good care of the customers.  

Super Contributor

Trusted Contributor

I had a pair of boots from there that I love. Not the duck boots. They were still in good shape but the soles were almost smooth from two hard winters of use. I emailed them to see if they resole them which I would have paid for. They don't on those boots, but I think they do on the duck boots. They told me I could send them back for a new pair! What??!! That was super nice of them but I didn't take them up on the offer. It was just normal wear and tear in my opinion.

I was talking to a cashier at a gas staion one day and we somehow got on the subject of LL Bean and she told me she returns stuff all the time. Keeping her growing kids clothed that way. So now I know one person to blame for this change in policy.

Trusted Contributor

Wow!  I guess I didn't realize this had gotten out of hand.

My husband's wardrobe now is 95% from LLBean.  He got a credit card and happily orders everything.

I don't blame them at all.  Returning things after such a long time is really over-the-top taking advantage of something that really should be very rarely used.

Re: Costco.  I have been disgusted watching some of the items returned.  I have seen huge televisions, other tech equipment arriving on carts without boxes.  I heard that people sometimes

buy expensive barbeques or televisions to use for Super Bowl or World Series parties, and then return everything for a full refund.

Incredible.

Honored Contributor

It's yet another consequence of the growing sense of entitlement that more and more people have.  Disgusting. 

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

It's a shame that it's become necessary to change their policy, but sadly, not surprising.

I love LLBean.  Some of their styles are a bit dated, but their quality is first rate.

I had a backback that I got for a high school graduation gift. After 20 years of use, the zipper broke and my local repair guy said it couldn't be fixed. I contacted LLBean, and they told me to send it in and they'd see what they could do. They couldn't fix it either, and offered me my choice of one of three new options, or $$$ off any other bag. I couldn't have been happier with their response. 

You used it for 20 years!!! Are items supposed to last forever?  Woman Surprised

This is why the policy is changing. They said people are under the impression their items have a lifetime guarantee.

And the way it was written, it pretty much was a lifetime guarantee. They said "guaranteed, period". That was it. Again, I NEVER asked for anything other than inquiring as to if they could fix the zipper on a backpack that was in otherwise good shape. THEY volunteered to give me a new one from a selection of 3 or $$$ off if I wanted a different bag. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I just ordered a fleece jacket for my husband from them, I have their LLBean VISA card so I don't need to spend the 50.00 bucks to get free S&H and returns. Some people will try to get away with anything. Can you imagine what it costs Beans to get rid of that merchandise they return.

Valued Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

This is why the policy is changing. They said people are under the impression their items have a lifetime guarantee.

well, apparently their policy was to replace items for the life of its use by the purchaser. But I am sure when they instituted that, people didn't have the gall to use, abuse, wear out, tear, rip, stomp on, stain, run over with a car, let a dog rip it to shreds and so on and then return for a full refund or new item, 

Of course, I am being facetious about all of those things but nowadays people do have GALL and a sense of entitlement and would do all those things and then make them honor the policy. LLBean probably has gotten stuck over the years with items that wouldn't be good enough for a dumpster diver and finally had enough,

Good for them. 

Respected Contributor

customers can be pigs and they have no conscience. brick and mortars try to bend over backwards, on returns, because of the internet competition, so they want to please everyone.