Honored Contributor

@crazered   Check out an earth friendly product called marmoleum. This is what we have in our kitchen. Tiles or a full sheet like the old fashioned linoleum. Easy to care for, lots of colors both solids and marbled. Works well for us.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

A lot of people are now using the laminate or vinyl plank. They look beautiful especially in a big open space.

Had this in my kitchen for last 20 years, still looks nice. 

Honored Contributor

We have engineered wood in our kitchen, living room and entryway.  The kitchen is a bear to keep clean because of the dog. We have a sliding patio door off the kitchen that she goes in and out of so if it's wet outside, her footprints are all over the floor when she comes in.  She's also a drooler after she drinks.  

I do my floor every single day.  I have a microfiber mop that has the liquid attached to the handle that sprays through the microfiber and I use Bona.  Anything else streaks the floor horribly. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@crazered   Check out an earth friendly product called marmoleum. This is what we have in our kitchen. Tiles or a full sheet like the old fashioned linoleum. Easy to care for, lots of colors both solids and marbled. Works well for us.

I have that in one of my bathrooms. So easy to keep clean. It's great.

Respected Contributor
A year ago when I went to investigate new kitchen flooring I got strange looks when I mentioned vinyl. I love maintaining luxury vinyl and the looks.
Honored Contributor

I have a laminate floor that looks like whitewashed wood planks in my kitchen. I’ve had it for about fifteen years, and there’s not a mark on it. It looks like real wood, but is much more practical.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen flooring

[ Edited ]

I love my hardwood in kitchen

i do keep area rug in cooking area. The floor does get dinged! But  tile dings and chips, no matter what they tell you.  Tile is also colder to me.  Our kitchen is the coldest room in house during winter, our kitchen counter is so cold you could freeze ice cream, lol.

the one reason I chose wood is it can be refinished 3 times over if needed.  It is easy to replace a spot if damaged.. also if you have a bad back tile is a bit harder to stand on for long periods.  But tile is pretty too.  Having had vinyl, tile and wood.  I love wood.  But I love vinyl as well. They have fabulous vinyl these days.  It is not that 80's-90's vinyl anymore

ETA

I have the high grade oak flooring, with less wood grain.  Also, the unfinished woodwas brought into house and let sit for a week to acclamate. Then installed stained, and  sealed and buffed 4 times.  It is semi gloss sealer.  

Honored Contributor

At this last house, we had ash hardwoods installed throughout. 

I have it in my kitchen at my other house and love it. 

It was brought in unfinished and then installed.  I don't think we got it stained, just coated and buffed several times.  It's very light, I didn't want anything dark.

I love tiles and we have heated in the bathrooms, but I have never turned on the heat.  And I probably wouldn't want to if it was in the kitchen.

Mackenzie-Childs makes pretty vinyl mats in 2 different sizes.  You can wipe them down, even use a wet mop on them.  They are great for in front of sink and even the back door.

Ash is very hard and durable, but we still baby it.  (No shoes in the house for several reasons.)

Respected Contributor

I have tile that closely resembles wood in my kitchen. Maybe take a look at it on line. It is impervious to dents or anything else. I really like it. The only negative is dropping something on the floor will shatter it if it is breakable. Also, easy clean up.