Esteemed Contributor

A lot of people are now using the laminate or vinyl plank. They look beautiful especially in a big open space.

Respected Contributor

We had luxury vinyl plank flooring by Coretec installed in our kitchen. Very easy to clean and it has fooled a few people that it isn’t wood.  But it can mar like any vinyl if something really heavy or sharp falls on it.   I think any flooring (except for carpet) can mar under the right circumstances.  I have extra planks set aside just in case any need replacement. 

Respected Contributor

My neighbor has ceramic tile in her kitchen, and hates it.  Says everything she drops, even from a short height, shatters.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

My neighbor has ceramic tile in her kitchen, and hates it.  Says everything she drops, even from a short height, shatters.  

I have ceramic too and I hate trying to keep the grout clean...never again.I use a toothbrush on grout and can never just damp mop or the dirty water settles in the grout.

Honored Contributor

We've had hardwood floors in our kitchen for almost 15 years. They look fine. We don't drop many things though. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I have hardwood floors throughout my downstairs level and I don't have a problem with keeping them clean or dents.  We did have them refinished we we moved in as the previous owner had a dog whose claws strached up the wood.  We have a cat that has claws but she's too small to have an impact.

I also have hardwoood floors at my beach house and I hate them.  They are dark wood and every speck of dust and cat hair is  visible.  We are switching them out this year for a grey toned floor.

Esteemed Contributor

I am remodeling my kitchen, and today I made a down payment on prefinished oak for the floor. I love it.

Respected Contributor

we are also in the middle of doing flooring in the kitchen.  we are selecting big squares of a vinyl flooring that looks like stone.  the one thing i didn't want was something that looks like wood. WAY too much wood in the house already. 

this has a backing already on it, and a slight texture. 

we are in the process of whittling down the choices right now. bringing home a samples.

No brown tones.  i want to be able to see the dirt on the floor, not have it blend in. 

Honored Contributor

We had light maple on our previous kitchen, dark wood on this one and the maple we lived on for 25 years and it still looked great, even with a few dings from dropped cans.

We like the dark ones as well, and just run the dyson over it in the spots that collect crumbs at night when it needs it.

We put dark gel mats in front of the stove and the sink and they are great!

Honored Contributor

We went with laminate wood look flooring. It looks realistic and is easy to maintain. We have heated ceramic tiles in the bathroom. Would never want that in the kitchen.