Honored Contributor

Re: Keeping Up With The Richest Of The Rich

Since I would be filthy rich then my list would be very long.

Fund cancer research, the study of heart disease. low cost medicine and vaccinations.

Eliminate hunger and homelessness.

Education, education and education! 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I haven't read all the replies, and honestly don't give this kind of thing a lot of thought as I know I will never be 'that' rich, but if I were, I think rather than give to established charities or institutions, I'd put money straight into the hands of people, regular every day people. 

Like if I see someone struggling to finish college, pay the tuition. If I see someone struggling in a small business that I know has value, give them money to continue.  Then I'd like to give some people money with the stipulation they give it away to help others that they see needing a hand up. 

I'd prefer to spread the money around to as many people as possible, and have many of those people help other people with that money.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I recently visited one of the Vanderbilt mansions in Hyde Park, NY and that family was even wealthier by today's standards (more $ than Gates ever had). 

I would use that kind of money to research how to eradicate all mosquitos from the planet or fund research into the eradication of neuromuscular diseases like ALS or Muscular Dystrophy.

He was a Millionaire when he died.  By today's standards compared to the Billionaires he didn't quite make it to the multi-billion mark.

Cornelius Vanderbilt $105 million at the time of his death (equivalent to approximately $2,333,296,875 in 2016 dollars) (approximately 1/87th of US GNP)

The Vanderbilt Mansion in Hyde Park was owned by Frederick W. Vanderbilt not Cornelius. Gorgeous place and near the Roosevelt homes and Library. A great town to visit.

Respected Contributor

I don't think I would want to be that rich. I kind of like being in the middle of the pack...just comfortable, yet knowing that any needs I have in the future will be taken care of.

I had a roommate in college who was a "trust fund baby."  She majored in art history and has never held a job in her life. Married and divorced three times...two kids and a couple grandchildren that I know of. She calls once in a while. She travels a lot and never seems happy. She is always looking for someone to travel with. Seems to have been everywhere/done everything. My life must seem boring to her, yet when I tell her what DH, the children and grandchildren are doing, she always thinks it sounds like so much fun. Maybe it's because she never does anything "real"...like a backyard BBQ or making potato salad.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

This is selfish on my part but I would fund further studies with stem cells for heart failure. I have all the money I need or want but funding studies to prolong life in heart patients would be what I would do if I was the richest of the rich.

Not selfish @Trinity11, it would benefit

the world.❤️

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I recently visited one of the Vanderbilt mansions in Hyde Park, NY and that family was even wealthier by today's standards (more $ than Gates ever had). 

I would use that kind of money to research how to eradicate all mosquitos from the planet or fund research into the eradication of neuromuscular diseases like ALS or Muscular Dystrophy.

He was a Millionaire when he died.  By today's standards compared to the Billionaires he didn't quite make it to the multi-billion mark.

Cornelius Vanderbilt $105 million at the time of his death (equivalent to approximately $2,333,296,875 in 2016 dollars) (approximately 1/87th of US GNP)

The Vanderbilt Mansion in Hyde Park was owned by Frederick W. Vanderbilt not Cornelius. Gorgeous place and near the Roosevelt homes and Library. A great town to visit.

@proudlyfromNJ, I don't dispute anything about the real estate.  I wanted to clarify for Just Jazz Mom, that they were not as rich as today's "set."  Being a millionaire (Vanderbilts were), doesn't equal the billionaires listed herein.  Thanks.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Since I would be filthy rich then my list would be very long.

Fund cancer research, the study of heart disease. low cost medicine and vaccinations.

Eliminate hunger and homelessness.

Education, education and education! 

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Some wonderful causes and needs !!!

I'd add aid and support for the spouses and children of the enlisted soldiers, airmen, sailors and marines.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would give money to the Institute For Justice.  They do great work in the area of civil liberties and individual rights.  They represented Ms. Kelo when the city of New London seized her home to give it to a developer.  It went all the way to the Supreme Court.  Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Souter, Stevens, and Kennedy ruled that the city could take her home through eminent domain if it would boost tax revenues to the city or create jobs.  They do important work in this area.

Esteemed Contributor

I would do the same as I am now but with a lot more money and time to give. Homelessness is where the majority of my time and money goes right. I have really started to get into it over the past two years. Myself and another girl just secured a pretty well known actress to speak at a ball we are having in October and that has been my mission and job for the past 6 months or so. I feel relieved and super excited. We have already sold out all the tables and I am so excited to find out what the total will be after the ball. We have a number we would like to meet to fund several projects and we are all fairly positive we will exceed that. It will help a lot of people that could desperately use it.

The other thing I like to give to is animal charities. Unfortunately I don't have the time to fundraise for this charity like I would like to because there is only so much time I have to give but I try to make up for that financially for what we can budget to give.

I never expected how much time, dedication and work it would be. It can really be a full time job.

I would love to be in the financial position where I could write a 8 digit check for either one. That would be great. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK