Esteemed Contributor

Re: Keeping Up With The Richest Of The Rich

Animals,sick children,Native Americans.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I live a few miles down the road from Bill and Melinda Gates. 

Warren Buffet (and many others) have made generous donations to the Gates Foundation over the years.  

There are many things we can do on our own.  I volunteer once a week at a local food bank and also for organization that wants to end summer hunger for children who rely on the subsidized lunch programs at schools.  Whether your area of interest is foster children, animals, education, health care, etc. a little time given by many people can make a big change.  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is baiting/political

Honored Contributor

If I had that money right now, I would use it to help many of the flood victims here in West Virginia, to ensure their homes are rebuilt, or they relocate to an area of their choice.  

A lot of disaster money is still waiting to be distributed, but local news interviewed several homeowners who survive on Social Security, who do not think they can afford to rebuild to what they had before the flooding.   My heart went out to one elderly woman in particular, and I am hopeful she and others receive the assistance needed to get back on their feet.    

I would also use the money to stabilize 2 local animal shelters that struggle to stay open and provide services.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7

Hi to you,

While I am familiar with many names of the super wealthy, how much money someone has is not something I give much thought. The same goes for how anyone, rich or poor, spends their money.

Just for the sake of answering your question, I would give it all to my wife. I made $50 cash yesterday. My wife just now came home from a 4 day pet sitting job. She saw the cash and asked me what I was going to do with it. I told her to put it in her pocket, I have no use for it. That is a true story.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I recently visited one of the Vanderbilt mansions in Hyde Park, NY and that family was even wealthier by today's standards (more $ than Gates ever had). 

I would use that kind of money to research how to eradicate all mosquitos from the planet or fund research into the eradication of neuromuscular diseases like ALS or Muscular Dystrophy.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Animal sanctuaries and shelters big and small, so they can continue to do what they do - save lives and make both people and pets happy.

Fund veterans organizations that help with housing, rehab, therapy and keeping families together, as well as medical help.

Provide funds to buy flack jackets/vests for military and police K9s and also fund organizations that bring the overseas pets and former military K9 partners together in the States after soldiers have returned.

Donate to food banks. Give to things I want to locally - sad stories you hear on the news a out a handicapped kid whose bike or puppy or special van was stolen and things like that. When someone steals a warehouse of things meant for needy children's holiday gifts, give them a check to buy it all again. Buy a new truck when the food bank's or Meals on Wheels truck is stolen (yes it happened). Donate to Meals on Wheels so they can expand their services to all who need them.

This of course after insuring that my small family would never want for anything.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I recently visited one of the Vanderbilt mansions in Hyde Park, NY and that family was even wealthier by today's standards (more $ than Gates ever had). 

I would use that kind of money to research how to eradicate all mosquitos from the planet or fund research into the eradication of neuromuscular diseases like ALS or Muscular Dystrophy.

@JustJazzmom

I hear you!  I hate mosquitoes and apparently they serve no purpose other than filling in as food for some birds and fish.  Not the mainstay, just a side dish apparently.

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

I would do what Jon Stewart and his wife do - open animal santuaries. And bring free spay/neuter services where needed. Unlike adult humans, animals don't abuse the system. They are for the most part at our mercy so I feel a sense of responsibility to them

I would help you with this mission.  And since money buys influence, I would 'support' those in powerful positions to change public policy for the betterment of society. 

Honored Contributor

I'll decide what to do with that kind of money as soon as I get it. Until then, I'm busy enough deciding how to spend my few pennies...