Honored Contributor

Keeping Up With The Richest Of The Rich

The local news last night announced our San Francisco resident Mark Zuckerberg is now worth $57.2 billion.

Bill Gates seems to lead the pack in America at $80 billion.

It's hard to imagine having that much money, and it just keeps growing.  The good thing is they both give a lot away to help others.  SF has long been known as having the best trauma center in the country, and now, thanks to Zuckerberg, the Zuckerberg Trauma Center has expanded, has a new building and all the latest equipment to be had.

Gates also has a fine record of philanthropy. 

If you had that kind of wealth at your disposal, what would you like to fund?

Honored Contributor

Re: Keeping Up With The Richest Of The Rich

My retirement  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

The local news last night announced our San Francisco resident Mark Zuckerberg is now worth $57.2 billion.

Bill Gates seems to lead the pack in America at $80 billion.

It's hard to imagine having that much money, and it just keeps growing.  The good thing is they both give a lot away to help others.  SF has long been known as having the best trauma center in the country, and now, thanks to Zuckerberg, the Zuckerberg Trauma Center has expanded, has a new building and all the latest equipment to be had.

Gates also has a fine record of philanthropy. 

If you had that kind of wealth at your disposal, what would you like to fund?

Is Warren Buffet anywhere on that list?  He was at one time handing out a lot of his fortune to the Gates' for them to disburse philanthropically.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

That would be some retirement Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Is Warren Buffet anywhere on that list?  He was at one time handing out a lot of his fortune to the Gates' for them to disburse philanthropically.

@itiswhatitis

Oh, sure, the last figure I've seen for Buffett is $63.3 billion, and I think that came after he gave away a lot of what he had.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

That would be some retirement Woman Very Happy

I'll try and struggle through with that kind of paycheck to paycheck existence until my Social Security kicks in.  Smiley Wink 

Honored Contributor

This is selfish on my part but I would fund further studies with stem cells for heart failure. I have all the money I need or want but funding studies to prolong life in heart patients would be what I would do if I was the richest of the rich.

Honored Contributor

I started thinking about it last night.  I can think of a lot of local needs and school needs, and the new stories that always come up, that would be nice to be able to take care of.

But I'd like to fund medical research and schools for girls in countries where girls are not allowed to attend the schools they have.

Esteemed Contributor

The backpack  program (?) where children are sent home with enough food for the weekend after leaving school on Friday.  

Public transportation in rural areas

FREE Farmers markets and cooking classes for poor who rely on processed food to feed their families.

Preschool drop offs and late evening programs for latchkey children.

Buying old factories and closed military housing and making homes for the poor and homeless.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

This is selfish on my part but I would fund further studies with stem cells for heart failure. I have all the money I need or want but funding studies to prolong life in heart patients would be what I would do if I was the richest of the rich.

@Trinity11  That is so nice.  I think a lot of us would do medical or scientific research.  I personally am down for wiping out cancer and Alzheimer's so they will be on notice when I win Powerball this week.  Smiley Very Happy