Honored Contributor

Re: Keeping Up With The Richest Of The Rich

@Trinity11 wrote:

This is selfish on my part but I would fund further studies with stem cells for heart failure. I have all the money I need or want but funding studies to prolong life in heart patients would be what I would do if I was the richest of the rich.

@Trinity11

I don't think that's selfish at all, Trinity.  You'd be helping a lot of people.

I hope you are feeling better Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

The local news last night announced our San Francisco resident Mark Zuckerberg is now worth $57.2 billion.

Bill Gates seems to lead the pack in America at $80 billion.

It's hard to imagine having that much money, and it just keeps growing.  The good thing is they both give a lot away to help others.  SF has long been known as having the best trauma center in the country, and now, thanks to Zuckerberg, the Zuckerberg Trauma Center has expanded, has a new building and all the latest equipment to be had.

Gates also has a fine record of philanthropy. 

If you had that kind of wealth at your disposal, what would you like to fund?

A lot of it would go toward programs for youth.  Actually, that is where the bulk what I decide to give would go towards.  In this regard, scholarships, afterschool programs, arts programs.  Then, the rest would go toward homelessness reduction.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

The backpack  program (?) where children are sent home with enough food for the weekend after leaving school on Friday.  

Public transportation in rural areas

FREE Farmers markets and cooking classes for poor who rely on processed food to feed their families.

Preschool drop offs and late evening programs for latchkey children.

Buying old factories and closed military housing and making homes for the poor and homeless.

What a great list, @MyGirlsMom !

Esteemed Contributor

There are plenty of rich folks but the people mentioned are wealthy.  Not old wealth but new wealth. 

The Gates were exposed for harming people in foreign countries with their investments. 

My distribution would be for education in the Sciences for research and health purposes.  We have got to irradicate many diseases that plague the world. 

Secondly, defense and Law Enforcement.  Help change laws to push for very stern punishment for criminals - no sympathy.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

A lot of it would go toward programs for youth.  Actually, that is where the bulk what I decide to give would go towards.  In this regard, scholarships, afterschool programs, arts programs.  Then, the rest would go toward homelessness reduction.

@itiswhatitis

The news last night had a fresh report on the homeless in Oakland, CA.

There are "unspoken agreements" there between the homeless and city police and officials for homeless encampments under the freeways as long as they keep it clean and tidy.  The residents have kept their areas immaculate.  The leader of their community makes sure of that.  He was an accountant until he lost his job and couldn't get back on track.

He has a sign on his tent that says: Homeless Lives Matter Too.

BTW, Oakland has many city funded places to help and shelter the homeless, but in the last year or so, the number of homeless has tripled with people coming in from other areas.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

This is selfish on my part but I would fund further studies with stem cells for heart failure. I have all the money I need or want but funding studies to prolong life in heart patients would be what I would do if I was the richest of the rich.

@Trinity11

I don't think that's selfish at all, Trinity.  You'd be helping a lot of people.

Thanks, Noel. I got some good news this morning that I am stage 2 heart failure rather than the dire news of stage 3 the first week after the heart attack. Now with the help of the meds, exercise and dietary changes, I am hoping to beat the statistics. Hope you are healing. I read yesterday that you are able to eat again. Please take care of yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11

Thanks, Noel. I got some good news this morning that I am stage 2 heart failure rather than the dire news of stage 3 the first week after the heart attack. Now with the help of the meds, exercise and dietary changes, I am hoping to beat the statistics. Hope you are healing. I read yesterday that you are able to eat again. Please take care of yourself.

Here's wishing you nothing the but the very best @Trinity11.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Four immediate concerns:

Helping foster children who have aged out of the system.

Hunger.

Appalachian programs for so many things.

Alzheimer's research and patient care.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11

@Trinity11

Thanks, Trinity Smiley Happy  I am so glad to hear things aren't as bad as they thought they might be for you! 

I have a fantastic cardio team who seem to be on top of it all.  More tests scheduled.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Four immediate concerns:

Helping foster children who have aged out of the system.

Hunger.

Appalachian programs for so many things.

Alzheimer's research and patient care.

@tansy

Yes!  They've had some real setbacks in the availability of medical care in some areas there.