Honored Contributor

Oh, @Jordan2, I understood you....not just from reading your post in this thread but from reading prior posts of yours.  Everybody here knows your good character.  😊

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

I have had them refuse to allow me to pay my co-pay. They want to bill me. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I’m the OP, some of you I think took this the wrong way. I’m not looking for pats on the back or credit for doing the right thing. It was just me saying how I conduct my life, I’m not special at all. Everyone should conduct themselves as they see fit with no judgements from anyone.

@Jordan2 , I saw your post as just anecdotal ..certainly you were not looking for praise. Some of the responses are a bit harsh. I think a lot of us don't post much anymore because we have seen a lot over the years and know exactly how these threads often turn out. Sigh...

Honored Contributor

LOL I wouldn't try to sneak out of a clinic without paying if I had a copay. I want to be able to get another appointment.

I'd assume the receptionist was surprised because most people pay upfront before their appointments if they know they have a copay, not because she was used to people being all weasely. Everyone else would either owe no copay or they would expect to be billed once the insurance was handled.

And you aren't a relic. Keep doing what you're doing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Some of you would be surprised at the lengths people go through to get out of paying bills they owe.  

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I’m the OP, some of you I think took this the wrong way. I’m not looking for pats on the back or credit for doing the right thing. It was just me saying how I conduct my life, I’m not special at all. Everyone should conduct themselves as they see fit with no judgements from anyone.

@Jordan2 , I saw your post as just anecdotal ..certainly you were not looking for praise. Some of the responses are a bit harsh. I think a lot of us don't post much anymore because we have seen a lot over the years and know exactly how these threads often turn out. Sigh...

So, true on both counts.  I get what Jordan was saying and, yeah, there are some here who are just awful and I guess I'll never get it.  What I do get, however and from previous experience, is that people like that think that the only way to feel good about themselves is to tear others down. 

I find it easy to ignore that and just feel a little bit sorry for them.  But sometimes it gets pretty toxic here and I stay away, in lieu of other, normal boards where I've been for many years also and everybody acts like grown-ups. We have fun together without trolling and rude, abusive posters, because that's just not tolerated.

Respected Contributor

No, I wouldn't pay up front, even if I knew that I would owe them something. I've had offices try to collect my presumed co-pay or cost-share up front "as a convenience" to me. Hah. I always decline and tell them I'll pay whatever I owe AFTER they run it thru my insurance. I always pay my bills promptly, but never early. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1   Insurance companies make it clear that you are supposed to pay copayments at the time of service.  A copay would be for example $20 for each office visit.

Coinsurance and deductibles should be paid later after the insurance company processes the claim.  The provider does not know how much of their bill will be applied to the deductible or if the deductible will have been met by the time the claim is processed.

Coinsurance is the amount of percentage you would be responsible for after the insurance company pays their share.  If your insurance pays 80% for example, you would owe 20%.

Your medical providers are in the right to bill you at the time of the visit if you owe a copayment and you should do the right thing and pay it and not make them bill you.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@FrostyBabe1   Insurance companies make it clear that you are supposed to pay copayments at the time of service.  A copay would be for example $20 for each office visit.

Coinsurance and deductibles should be paid later after the insurance company processes the claim.  The provider does not know how much of their bill will be applied to the deductible or if the deductible will have been met by the time the claim is processed.

Coinsurance is the amount of percentage you would be responsible for after the insurance company pays their share.  If your insurance pays 80% for example, you would owe 20%.

Your medical providers are in the right to bill you at the time of the visit if you owe a copayment and you should do the right thing and pay it and not make them bill you.

Well, no one has ever pushed back so I'll continue to do as I always have. But thanks for the scolding. It made my day so very special.  

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Re: Just How I Am

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I don't want to come off as a Polly-Anna or a Goody-Two-Shoes ( I'm not), but this is me. I always try to tell the truth and do the right thing, be a good citizen. I went to the doctor yesterday, I have met my deductible and knew I owed a copay. I say to the receptionist can I give you my copay now, she looked at me in disbelief. She said most people head for the exit trying to leave without paying the copay. Why do that, you know you owe it, it's the right thing to pay it upon leaving the office. I said to the receptionist I feel I am a representation of my parents when I go out into the world, I would never want to do anything to embarrass them or disrespect them ( they are both deceased). I think the medical assistant thought I was crazy, although she said that's nice. Am I a relic, does anyone think the same as I do?

@Jordan2 

I was raised like you to pay what's owed and pay bills promptly .....

Many doctor's offices demand payment BEFORE you can leave.... mine has a BIG SIGN at the receptionist's desk and as you exit the exam room.....I think they know if people are allowed to leave it might be hard to collect the money owed....(there are some people out there that just dont pay their bills)

At my doctor's office they have everything programmed into the computer, co-pays, deductibles and info regarding what's covered etc etc based on your insurance company (thats why they only accept certain plans) so no need to wait for an insurance company to calculate what's owed and send you the bill....they use technology to the utmost...

If the receptionist at your doctor's office was surprised that you wanted to pay your co-pay it doesnt say much about her upbringing....  You are NOT a relic, you are a responsible person....Sadly, responsibility is a dirty word in this day and age....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”