Honored Contributor

Guess I am fortunate that I never pay a co pay with my insurance.  I am sure though I probably pay it SOMEWHERE IN A HIDDEN EXTRA CHARGE or something.....

Honored Contributor

Like you, I have a conscience and wouldn't feel right getting something for nothing. Acting in a way that would please our parents is a good way of putting it.

Esteemed Contributor

I use to give them the co pay when I got done seeing the doctor, but for years here, they have been asking for it when we check in for our appointment.

I can't imagine trying to leave without paying, but if they do that, they will get a bill or probably next time be hit up for it. I really don't know what the point is, if this is their regular dr.

Respected Contributor

They always ask me if i want to pay as i am checked in , they don't expect it , but i always pay at the time , instead of getting an extra bill in the mail. By the way at my hospital if you pay early you get a 10% discount , and that really helps for anyone that has been to the ER or have had procedures done.I was pleasantly surprised.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I don't want to come off as a Polly-Anna or a Goody-Two-Shoes ( I'm not), but this is me. I always try to tell the truth and do the right thing, be a good citizen. I went to the doctor yesterday, I have met my deductible and knew I owed a copay. I say to the receptionist can I give you my copay now, she looked at me in disbelief. She said most people head for the exit trying to leave without paying the copay. Why do that, you know you owe it, it's the right thing to pay it upon leaving the office. I said to the receptionist I feel I am a representation of my parents when I go out into the world, I would never want to do anything to embarrass them or disrespect them ( they are both deceased). I think the medical assistant thought I was crazy, although she said that's nice. Am I a relic, does anyone think the same as I do?

@Jordan2 I feel the same as you do to continue and honor my parents' legacy.  My 24yr old son was born after my parents died so I tell stories to him oftem about them so he knows the quality people that were his grandparents. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 No I am just like you, I am a very honest person, and would never try to get away with anything! If I ever receive too much money back, I right away give it back, I just could never be that kind of person who is always trying to get away with things knowing they are wrong! I was brought up to be a good and honest person, and that is how I raised my daughters as well. 

Honored Contributor

I have a co-pay and when I check-in with the receptionist, they take my co-pay then.  At my previous doctor, you had to walk past the desk on the way out and you didn't get out without paying your co-pay.

OTOH, there are times when a facility will call me to pre-register me for a procedure of some kind and they will tell me what my portion will be and ask if I want to make payment or are bold and ask how I plan on paying for that.  The last time I told them I wanted to wait for my EOB and it's a good thing I did because I owed $300.00+ less than they told me I would.  

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

If they tell me I owe something when I check out, I pay it.  If they send me a bill, I pay it.

The office staff works with insurance companies all day.  If they don't tell me at checkout that I owe, I assume I don't owe anything.  Not every visit requires a copay.  If I am mailed a bill, I send them a check.

I don't think this makes me a dishonest person.

I do exactly the same and never gave it a thought...if you pay upfront, during or after it will get paid...I don't understand the discussion.

Esteemed Contributor

Character is what you do when no one is watching.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@Jordan2 No I am just like you, I am a very honest person, and would never try to get away with anything! If I ever receive too much money back, I right away give it back, I just could never be that kind of person who is always trying to get away with things knowing they are wrong! I was brought up to be a good and honest person, and that is how I raised my daughters as well. 

@CANDLEQUEEN I do the same thing, I'll tell the cashier if they gave me too much change back. The reason is, they're going to come up short, I don't want them to be docked the amount they're short by. I also never complain about service I receive from a worker, even if it was the worst, I would never want to be responsible for possibly getting someone fired.