Honored Contributor

July 2018 - April the Giraffe is expecting again!

Taj is now 10 feet tall. He is getting a baby sibling - Oliver is the dad again.

She is due next March, and the giraffe cam is up!  Smiley Happy

GIRAFFE CAM

Honored Contributor

Re: July 2018 - April the Giraffe is expecting again!

@beach-mom wrote:

Taj is now 10 feet tall. He is getting a baby sibling - Oliver is the dad again.

She is due next March, and the giraffe cam is up!  Smiley Happy

GIRAFFE CAM

@beach-mom- the giraffe cam has never been down. I watch April and crew part of each day. I love the little giraffe family. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh - Good to know this! I watched after Taj was born, but then slacked off some. It seems like it might have been up only certain hours? Anyway, I'm so glad they still have Taj. I was worried they would send him to another zoo when he was old enough. Do you think he will stay there? 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom, and everyone,

Watch Oliver, April and Tajiri often,

love them! Thanks for posting,

http://i.myniceprofile.com/1393/139342.gif

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@gidgetgh - Good to know this! I watched after Taj was born, but then slacked off some. It seems like it might have been up only certain hours? Anyway, I'm so glad they still have Taj. I was worried they would send him to another zoo when he was old enough. Do you think he will stay there? 

@beach-mom- the camera is on 24/7 now and they’ve added an outside camera so you can see them outside. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Did anyone happen to see 60 Minutes this past Sunday? The story about what goes on behind the scenes in zoos, ensuring animals are born to acceptable "parents"?

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

Did anyone happen to see 60 Minutes this past Sunday? The story about what goes on behind the scenes in zoos, ensuring animals are born to acceptable "parents"?

I worked at a zoo for a number of years as a nursery attendant. Sometimes newborns are rejected at birth and sometimes they are hidden from view and not properly cared for by the mothers. So it's important to monitor birthing situations. @bathina

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@bathina wrote:

I worked at a zoo for a number of years as a nursery attendant. Sometimes newborns are rejected at birth and sometimes they are hidden from view and not properly cared for by the mothers. So it's important to monitor birthing situations. @bathina

I understand the need for ensuring a safe gene pool. The science behind the what and why is fascinating. I could also understand why Copenhagen made the decision regarding Marius, the 2 year old giraffe. The director of that zoo made very valid points. It was such an informative segment about a topic for which I wouldn't have given a second thought.

Honored Contributor

Most of the animals that are in the zoos today are bought, sold and traded amongst zoos from around the world. It's a business just like any other.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Most of the animals that are in the zoos today are bought, sold and traded amongst zoos from around the world. It's a business just like any other.

Yes! This was highlighted in the segment.