Honored Contributor

ON TODAY'S DATE, THE MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE OF JIMMY HOFFA

It was on July 31, 1975, that labor leader and former Teamster president Jimmy Hoffa disappeared without a trace in Detroit. The hunt for him gripped the nation. As far as I know, there has been no conclusive evidence as to what actually happened.  Because he had been involved in organized crime, it is assumed by law enforcement that there was probably a mob hit.  At the time of his disappearance, Mr. Hoffa was hoping to make a comeback in his field.

For some reason, I am fascinated by famous disappearances.  Am going to guess that the most resonating ones of the twentieth century at least, were the Lindbergh baby (although sadly, we did eventually know more of his fate than the others), the disappearance of Judge Crater, the vanishing of aviator Amelia Earhart, and the Jimmy Hoffa case.

Judge Joseph Crater's fame (he was New York State Supreme Court Justice, disappeared August 6, 1930) has faded with time, but at one time his case saturated popular culture-- everyone knew about it.  There were catch phrases and jokes about his disappearance.  Even as late as the D i c k Van D y k e Show, there's a jokey reference to it, and that show was early to mid Sixties.

Judge Crater captured the popular imagination because of the high level of his position, I would guess, and because of the notoriety of his personal life (there were mistresses, a close-mouthed wife, extravagant lifestyle, lots of rumor and personal and professional scandal).

There's no doubting why we are perennially riveted by plucky Amelia Earhart's story-- her courage, her successes, the poignance of her flying into the blue and never returning.  Clues as to what happened still turn up, and researchers never tire of following that narrative.

Do you wonder about disappearances?  If so, what ones interest you the most? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ON TODAY'S DATE, THE MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE OF JIMMY HOFFA

Can't say as I do.  Tried of hearing Earhart speculations....ran out of gas.....hit a mountain top ............Hoffa buried on the 50 yard line is good enough for me.  I just can't and don't live in the past - sorry.

Honored Contributor

Are you interested in other aspects of history, though, @fthunt?  Because I personally have a bent toward mystery and suspense, these historical cases "grab me". 

But we're all different, and I do think that although all history is "the past", it offers something for everyone!   But maybe from a different angle or aspect...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe they'll find him buried somewhere  in  Detroit! The city is going through a big time gentrification. 

Respected Contributor

Since I live in the Detroit area, I vividly remember the Hoffa disappearance.  Every now and then a new tip will be investigated and another wild goose chase begins, never revealing anything new.  I often drive by the restaurant (now under different ownership of course) where he was last seen and wonder . . . My theory is he was sent to swim with the fishes in the Detroit River. 

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell, I'd love to sit and talk with you for hours about mysteries!

Just taking a guess, but I think Hoffa is probably *in* a parking lot somewhere. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I had never heard of Judge Crater.  His wife’s personal history was interesting from what I just read.  

Mild interest in DB Cooper.

Honored Contributor

Very interesting theories on Hoffa!  You all are probably right.

I thought of another "disappearance" but maybe it isn't one now.  I read long ago about the guy who made some sort of robbery, and actually parachuted out of an airplane in flight with the loot to escape capture.   He had an unusual name-- was it "D.B" something?

Maybe they have found his remains?  Or maybe (highly unlikely), he landed safely and made it?  Imagine someone wanting to steal so badly, and being so audacious as to jump out of a plane...

I hope I don't have the story too garbled-- I can barely remember it but it struck me at the time... 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm still wondering if they'll ever find the two women missing from my area.

Lisa Stebic from Plainfield and Stacy Peterson from Bolingbrook.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

I know exactly what you mean about historical shockers ...  

Every time it comes to mind, I still can't believe that President John F Kennedy was assasinated .... and wonder who was really behind it.   I don't think it was "just" Oswald.   Doesn't make sense to me ...  and I'm hoping that the truth is revealed in our lifetime.