Honored Contributor

That is too bad. I hope he takes his time and finds a good job.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if this would help but they are having a teacher shortage. They are begging for them and many districts are willing to work with people. This might be an opportunity he could look into a different direction.

My best wishes for your SIL. I know times are tough now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gertrudecloset    I know that but this is not the place to get into specifics.

OK, right @Kachina624 .  I knew it too and wanted to make sure the OP knew it to pass it on.  That's what I come here for.  To learn and to help others with info where I can.  Purpose Driven.  Never know whose reading these forums.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

My daughter called me this morning to tell me they notified my son-in-law this morning  that his job was being discontinued due to manufacturing costs.  He is an Industrial Engineer.   He is good at what he does and they let him know it had nothing to do with his performance.

Hopefully, he will find another job soon but I have a feeling many manufacturing jobs, even salaried ones, will be lost in 2022.  SIL is in his mid 50's and I feel bad for him. 

@jubilant 

I heard that Ford Motor is letting 3,000 white color workers go. Think they said in Detroit, but not 100% sure of that part.

It has something to do with Electric Vehicles, and I think I heard, they are going to be made in Mexico.

Wishing your SIL the best of luck in finding a new, maybe better job, and soon.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

My daughter called me this morning to tell me they notified my son-in-law this morning  that his job was being discontinued due to manufacturing costs.  He is an Industrial Engineer.   He is good at what he does and they let him know it had nothing to do with his performance.

Hopefully, he will find another job soon but I have a feeling many manufacturing jobs, even salaried ones, will be lost in 2022.  SIL is in his mid 50's and I feel bad for him. 

@jubilant 

I heard that Ford Motor is letting 3,000 white color workers go. Think they said in Detroit, but not 100% sure of that part.

It has something to do with Electric Vehicles, and I think I heard, they are going to be made in Mexico.

Wishing your SIL the best of luck in finding a new, maybe better job, and soon.

hckynut  🇺🇸

Did you mean white collar workers? 

Valued Contributor

Though not in manufacturing, my husband was laid off in the beginning of the pandemic. He is a process control engineer.  Work was scarce and it was very hard. He just started a new job after not working for two and one half years.  No matter what is written, it is difficult to find work in one's field.

Honored Contributor

@QVCPhobe wrote:

Though not in manufacturing, my husband was laid off in the beginning of the pandemic. He is a process control engineer.  Work was scarce and it was very hard. He just started a new job after not working for two and one half years.  No matter what is written, it is difficult to find work in one's field.

@QVCPhobe   So glad your husband found a job.

Years ago my SIL worked in N. Carolina and that place shut down. He then found a job in Indianapolis and that place shut down. That was closer to his home. Finally another opportunity came even closer to our area her in Indiana and that is where he has been for years.  I hate to see him be uprooted yet again. They love living here since both their sons, grandchildren, and parents are here, too. We love it, too!  

Trusted Contributor

Its heartbreaking to hear of all of companies which are starting to let go thousands of employees.  I fear that we will be hearing of MANY MANY more over the next year.

I lost my job in 2011 during the last recession and it took 18 months before the market picked up and I could find a new job.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset  Thank you for the website info.  I sent it on to my son-in-law. I appreciate it. I called my daughter and he is working on a new resume and talking to a recruiter already.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the input and have let my son-in-law know. He probably knows some of it but I was glad to give him some updated info.  

DD says he is a bit down this morning but is already working hard to find another job.