Honored Contributor

I am SO sorry this has happened to your SIL's position.

Hopefully there is other industry in your area that can offer quality opportunities.

He might look into regional technical institutes to see if he could be successful there.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

My daughter called me this morning to tell me they notified my son-in-law this morning  that his job was being discontinued due to manufacturing costs.  He is an Industrial Engineer.   He is good at what he does and they let him know it had nothing to do with his performance.

Hopefully, he will find another job soon but I have a feeling many manufacturing jobs, even salaried ones, will be lost in 2022.  SIL is in his mid 50's and I feel bad for him. 

@jubilant 

I heard that Ford Motor is letting 3,000 white color workers go. Think they said in Detroit, but not 100% sure of that part.

It has something to do with Electric Vehicles, and I think I heard, they are going to be made in Mexico.

Wishing your SIL the best of luck in finding a new, maybe better job, and soon.

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn GM also annouced earlier that they were eliminating workers.  More than 3000 employees due to the movement to electric vehicles.  This was after they received tax incentives from the State of Michigan to invest in Electric Vehicle production in the state which required.  Very sad for the State of Michigan, birthplace of the automobile to have 2 companies announce workforce reduce due to Electric Vehicle production.   I learned a long time ago that these companies have NO loyaty to employees.

Respected Contributor

Talked with dear friend and he's seeing more than 4 of his coworkers (engineers) with more than 22 years with the company laid off since first of year.   Younger engineers seeing them get their walking papers.  Their work was top-notch, by the way, requiring detail and precision.  My friend dreads each day, wondering who is next.  Projects that they had to leave are floundering but I guess that's not important.

Frequent Contributor

Encourage him.  As an industrial engineer he is in an excellent postion to be involved in the major American movement into manufacturing again. He just has to pick what field turns him on.  Congress is moving us into some massive manufacturing and development efforts.  The Build Back Better Act, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, the Chips Act, Climate Change, and some others are going to have major impacts on our ability to manufacture things for ourselves.

Engineers like him are going to be in high demand.  Education has been impacted by COVID and the supply line of new engineers may be limited.  Those who are already out there in the job market are going to be desperately needed to make things happen themselves, or to train others.  People who can think, solve problems, and create new knowledge are going to be in high demand.

Just look at one industry- electric cars- they are going to need everything, from charging stations to replace gas strations all over the country, to the cars, trucks, and vans that we will buy.  Rivian, an electric truck and van maker is already planning to build a $5 billion factory east of Atlanta and it will employ 7,500 people.  Think about all the other companies that are going to have to get moving.  Semi-conductor production is just one of many manufacturing operations that will have to start from scratch. The time for talk is over.  America is going on the move, and it is going to be dramatic and exciting.  As an industrial engineer, he will be in the middle of all of it.  What a wonderful time in American history to be an engineer.

Tell him to call his professional societies, his congressional representative, his senator, and call any of the leading companies that are preparing for the big American manufacturing push.

Respected Contributor

@Firefly901 wrote:

Encourage him.  As an industrial engineer he is in an excellent postion to be involved in the major American movement into manufacturing again. He just has to pick what field turns him on.  Congress is moving us into some massive manufacturing and development efforts.  The Build Back Better Act, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, the Chips Act, Climate Change, and some others are going to have major impacts on our ability to manufacture things for ourselves.

Engineers like him are going to be in high demand.  Education has been impacted by COVID and the supply line of new engineers may be limited.  Those who are already out there in the job market are going to be desperately needed to make things happen themselves, or to train others.  People who can think, solve problems, and create new knowledge are going to be in high demand.

Just look at one industry- electric cars- they are going to need everything, from charging stations to replace gas strations all over the country, to the cars, trucks, and vans that we will buy.  Rivian, an electric truck and van maker is already planning to build a $5 billion factory east of Atlanta and it will employ 7,500 people.  Think about all the other companies that are going to have to get moving.  Semi-conductor production is just one of many manufacturing operations that will have to start from scratch. The time for talk is over.  America is going on the move, and it is going to be dramatic and exciting.  As an industrial engineer, he will be in the middle of all of it.  What a wonderful time in American history to be an engineer.

Tell him to call his professional societies, his congressional representative, his senator, and call any of the leading companies that are preparing for the big American manufacturing push.

@Firefly901   Are you struggling to survive the same devastatingly inflationary recession most people are?  Who writes your talking points?

Frequent Contributor

Yes, I am.  But the future I see looks very bright.  We are just coming out of the pandemic, and the plans and strategies that are now in place are designed to propel America and the world to great future.  While we face many challenges ahead, we always rise to meet them.  We must now prepare ourselves for the tasks ahead. I think my own thoughts, and I write them too.  We don't have the luxury of lingering in despair and side shows.  And this engineer could be a part of the army of talented people who will help us achieve our goals.

Trusted Contributor

@Firefly901 wrote:

Yes, I am.  But the future I see looks very bright.  We are just coming out of the pandemic, and the plans and strategies that are now in place are designed to propel America and the world to great future.  While we face many challenges ahead, we always rise to meet them.  We must now prepare ourselves for the tasks ahead. I think my own thoughts, and I write them too.  We don't have the luxury of lingering in despair and side shows.  And this engineer could be a part of the army of talented people who will help us achieve our goals.

I'll have whatever you're having! LOL

Respected Contributor

@BoopOMatic wrote:

@Firefly901 wrote:

I'll have whatever you're having! LOL

Not me. This poster is completely clueless.

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud   Yes. I agree.

I'm all for trying to be positive, but it's difficult to hear that companies are announcing layoffs (I heard that 40% of companies have already started laying off staff, were thinking about it, or were having hiring freezes).  I just hope to hang on for about 3 more years, but worry about my staff and if any of us are safe.  And then add in the cost of gas and basic food items, housing costs, the stock market losses that I've had this year, and it's bad.   I've been through 3 layoffs in the last 10 or so years, and having that hang over your head year over year is very stressful.

To the poster whose SIL is dealing with this right now, I pray that it works out for your family, that he is offered a good severence package and finds a good job that he can enjoy very soon.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Re: Job Being Terminated

[ Edited ]

@Firefly901  Interesting points but I am concerned about the inflation and having a recession.  I know so many people that are suffering right now.