Esteemed Contributor

Hallux Rigidus and Birkenstocks?

Anybody with hallux rigidus (inflamed sore big joint below big toe.....place where people typically get bunions)? If so, do you find Birkenstocks to be a good choice in shoes? What shoes are best for people with pain in this "ball or joint" in your feet? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Hallux Rigidus and Birkenstocks?

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361   What I have has not been given that name. I have not been to a Podiatrist or Orthopedic doctor for my feet for 12 years. At that time, I was told that it was arthritis and the doctor tried injections. That did not help. The last doctor said that only surgery would correct the enlarged , painful joint.

The arthritis is also in the bones of my feet. I asked the doctor

(12 years ago) why my foot didn't hurt when I wore my Birkenstocks. He said that it acts as a splint for my foot. I opted not to have surgery. Now I have arthritis in both feet.

So, I continued to wear Birkenstocks and my feet are happy

in the warm weather. I also wear them as house shoes. I have been wearing them for about 20 years. The joint that is swollen, is at the base of the large toe, on top of foot. It is not on the side where a bunion is.

What is great about the Birkenstocks is that the straps are

adjustable. I have four pairs of the Tahiti ( a discontinued style)

The two straps are narrow and the one that goes across the toes, is above the bump and does not put any pressure there.

The Arizona is also comfortable, especially the suede ones. I did get a pair of Arizonas with leather straps and I had to wear them with socks for week or two for the edges to soften a little. I now buy mostly suede, soft footbed. I have about 20 pairs.

If you want to try to find Tahiti Birks, I found a new pair in the box on ebay, a couple of years ago. Also, If you try Birkenstocks, the soft footbed is much more comfortable and

require no break in.

If your swollen joint is on top, like mine, you need a shoe that

has a wide enough toe box, so as not to squeeze or put pressure on the painful joint. I have many pairs of Clark's, both sandals and clogs and they are comfortable. I also have Borne sandals.

When it is cold out, I wear Easy Spirit suede, side zip ankle

boots with a pile lining. Inside the house, I will wear socks with Birkenstocks, but not outside. Ryka sneakers will also give you a wider toe box. I can only wear shoes that put no pressure on that joint.

No more high heels or any higher wedge shoes that would cause that joint to bend. It can't bend.

I hope that my suggestions for comfort shoes help you to find a solution. There are many online sources that sell Birkenstocks. Good Luck.

Respected Contributor

I  have hallux rigidus (diagnosed in the 1990's) and have had 2 surgeries on the same foot.   My podiatrist recommended Alegria, Dansko and some others for this condition (before and after surgery) since the joint is stiff and after surgery is fused.  He said I need to wear a stiff shoe to keep bending the joint at a minimum.  I can tell you that soft flexible shoes still hurt me and I stopped wearing them.  I also wear brikenstocks and they work for me as well.  For me, the main consideration is to keep a lot of weight and pressure off that joint.  I also have a custom rigid (metal) orthotic that I can put in my shoe.  I strongly recommend you see a doctor (if you haven't already) about this condition and see what he recommends based on your specific condition.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

@Jk9 @Enufstuff Thank you, both, for your thoughtful responses. I actually already own Birkinstocks and i, too, have found the suede, soft footbed ones (Arizona) more comfortable. It just seems strange to me that the relatively stiff Birkenstocks are comfortable....but I guess that's the point. Unfortunately, I also have VERY narrow feet, so many of the comfort type shoe brands don't fit since they don't come in narrow. I have not been to a doctor yet about this particular foot problem. Probably should do that. Thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Jk9 @Enufstuff Thank you, both, for your thoughtful responses. I actually already own Birkinstocks and i, too, have found the suede, soft footbed ones (Arizona) more comfortable. It just seems strange to me that the relatively stiff Birkenstocks are comfortable....but I guess that's the point. Unfortunately, I also have VERY narrow feet, so many of the comfort type shoe brands don't fit since they don't come in narrow. I have not been to a doctor yet about this particular foot problem. Probably should do that. Thanks for sharing.

So interesting. I think my feet almost "crave" a very firm sole and footbed.

I couldn't wait to try the soft footbed Birks, and wouldn't up giving my first and only pair away, because they felt (on MY feet) like drug store flip flops- no support at all.

The FIRM Birkies are SO essential to me that they are my CURE for the dreaded "night cramps".

When one foot/leg or the other OR BOTH, jerk me to consciousness from a cozy sound sleep, I put on a pair of firm Birkenstock Arizonas, AND GO BACK TO BED.

AND IT WORKS! Within a minute or two, the tortured muscles relax, and I'm back to sleep. Don't have ANY IDEAWHYthisworks, but for me, my pediatric insurance policy.

Hope you come up soon with something  that gives you comfort, @Goldengate8361 !

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 Best wishes to you in finding comfort with this condition.  It can be misdiagnosed when thought to be a bunion.   My condition was diagnosed by an orthopaedic surgeon and was a jogging repetitive injury.  Years later a podiatrist  made the same diagnosis.   It's very painful and I  feel for you.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

HOKA also have a wide toe area and are much more supportive than Rykas.  I love my Rykas, but needed more support as I got older.  Birks are the best.  Soft foot bed doesn't work for me either.