Trusted Contributor

Me and my husband will once again get our annual flu shot but it was brought to my attention that the multi dose vials contains preservatives because it's well for muli doses while the single dose vials do not contain preservatives.  I think I will ask the nurse at my doctor's office to use the single dose vials. Will she have those? Maybe doctors find it more convenient to use the multi dose vials?  I also have been made aware that there are single dose syringes too.  My next question.....is the trivalent sufficient or should we ask for the quadrivalent?  Does anyone know what strain we're dealing with?  

Honored Contributor

Re: It's flu shot time again

Wow, very good questions to which I have no clue. I just thought that we'd go to our shot clinic, and that would be that. I'll pay attention to this thread.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Thanks @suzyQ3 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been getting a flu shot since I turned 40 (a long time ago) but there were years that the flu struck before I had a chance to get the vaccine.  I really hope that doesn't happen this year.  Our appt is the first week of October.  I may just go somewhere else as I'm feeling anxious about it and don't want to wait.  

Esteemed Contributor

I always get mine the third week in October.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

My mother and I went to CVS and got our flu shots (she gets the one for older people). I got the Shingles vaccine (part 1) ant the end of June. You have to get part 2 of the vaccine between 2-6 months. Well CVS has it on backorder for some time (there seems to be a shortage), I hope I'll get it before my 6 months are over.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The trivalent has been the traditionally recommended vaccine. But now there is a broader vaccine made to include two strains of Flu-B. So The quad vaccine is the better one to get.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/quadrivalent.htm

eta - the over-65 high-dose is only available in the trivalent. Correct me if I wrong.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

My mother and I went to CVS and got our flu shots (she gets the one for older people). I got the Shingles vaccine (part 1) ant the end of June. You have to get part 2 of the vaccine between 2-6 months. Well CVS has it on backorder for some time (there seems to be a shortage), I hope I'll get it before my 6 months are over.

@Jordan2  Make sure CVS has you on their list of people to call when they get the vaccine in.  I did that with Kroger for my second shot, and they called me.

I'm getting my flu vaccine tomorrow when I go to the grocery store.  I had planned on getting it last week, but when I got there I realized my shirt sleeve wasn't easy to pull up so I had to wait.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNackwhen you have it at the grocery store is it out in the open for others to see? I mean how close are the others to you while you're getting it.  If someone coughs or sneezes I don't want that flying through the air landing on my shot entrance before the tech has a chance to cover it with cotton and tape or bandaid!  

Valued Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@NickNackwhen you have it at the grocery store is it out in the open for others to see? I mean how close are the others to you while you're getting it.  If someone coughs or sneezes I don't want that flying through the air landing on my shot entrance before the tech has a chance to cover it with cotton and tape or bandaid!  

When I receive my flu immunization at Kroger, I am taken into a small room, next to the pharmacy, to receive the injection. The pharmacist and I are the only people in that room at the time. I would hope that all public stores would do it this way, but I cannot say for sure. It wouldn’t hurt to ask beforehand.