Honored Contributor

Re: It's flu shot time again

I got my first one at a pharmacy so didn't speak to a dr at the time.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:
I got my first one at a pharmacy so didn't speak to a dr at the time.

That pharmacy should have a record of the type of vaccine(s) you got. I would ask them to verify which one you got and if it was the newer Shingrix then ask about getting the second dose right away.  If you got that older version Zostavax then you probably need to get the newer one anyway. @lovesrecess

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Yikes! We got our shingles vaccine a year ago and no one said a thing about it being part A of a two part vaccine. I need to call my dr and find out if the first one is any good now. I don't want to have to get it again!

@lovesrecess, if you weren't told about the second shot it is a pretty sure bet you got the older vaccine.  The newest, and considerably more effective, vaccine is called Shingrix and is given in two doses 2-6 months apart.  Right now there is a nationwide shortage of the Shingrix.

Even if you have had the old vaccine it is highly recommended that you get the Shingrix vaccine.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@NickNackwhen you have it at the grocery store is it out in the open for others to see? I mean how close are the others to you while you're getting it.  If someone coughs or sneezes I don't want that flying through the air landing on my shot entrance before the tech has a chance to cover it with cotton and tape or bandaid!  

@puttypiesmom  At our Kroger they take you in a room next to the pharmacy.  When I've had them at CVS it's out in the open, but not where there are a lot of people.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Yikes! We got our shingles vaccine a year ago and no one said a thing about it being part A of a two part vaccine. I need to call my dr and find out if the first one is any good now. I don't want to have to get it again!

@lovesrecess  The one you got last year would be the old vaccine.  It's not nearly as effective as the new vaccine, which is called Shringrix.  It's a two part vaccine.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I went to Walgreens to get my flu shot. I'm 63 and the pharmacist told me it was standard procedure to give someone of my age the quadrivalent vaccine. I assume you would have to ask to get the trivalent instead.

Here's some info from the CDC about FAQ regarding the flu this season:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2018-2019.htm

@SilleeMee  I got mine at Walgreens today.  I had researched the alternatives and decided that I wanted the quadrivalent shot.  When I asked, the head pharmacist told me that ALL of their vaccines were quadrivalent - no matter whether you got the senior vaccine, the standard (non-senior) vaccine, or several other variants they had.  I must have looked skeptical lol, because he showed me a box with "quadrivalent" on it.  I don't know if that's all Walgreens or just the ones in my area, but I thought it was interesting. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

My mother and I went to CVS and got our flu shots (she gets the one for older people). I got the Shingles vaccine (part 1) ant the end of June. You have to get part 2 of the vaccine between 2-6 months. Well CVS has it on backorder for some time (there seems to be a shortage), I hope I'll get it before my 6 months are over.

@Jordan2  Make sure CVS has you on their list of people to call when they get the vaccine in.  I did that with Kroger for my second shot, and they called me.

I'm getting my flu vaccine tomorrow when I go to the grocery store.  I had planned on getting it last week, but when I got there I realized my shirt sleeve wasn't easy to pull up so I had to wait.

@NickNack, I have been calling once a week to see if they have gotten it in. I never thought to ask if I can get on a list, and  CVS hasn't suggested it to me.

@Jordan2

This week I had my flu shot, then had to get on the waiting list at Walgreens for the Shingles shot.....I'm #41 on the list, sigh.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

If you live near a publix they will give you a $10.00 gift card for each flu shot.  My husband and I each got a card.  

Honored Contributor

Good questions but they questions for your doctor.

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I always get mine the third week in October.

They are advising recipients to get your flu shot earlier this year. I just heard that on the news this morning. Third week in October is too late. I got mine 3 weeks ago. 

"Pure Michigan"